PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Accidentally overwrited /etc/modprobe.d/options

DurandalArauz
March 8th, 2009, 04:49 AM
hey

So i was trying to make my SAA7134 based tv card in Ubuntu 8.10 and i fond some stuff that should work, but since i was doing something wrong Gedit didnt have the priviledges to add the code that i needed to put on it even tho i was adding sudo to the command...so as a total noob i decided to "cp" the missing code into it thinking that it would add the stuff into the file not overwrite it.

So the terminal overwrote it....is there anyway to restore it? I didn't back it up.....

The card doesn't work on a Windows XP virtual machine, so if it just doesn't work imm going to have to format the hard drive (my micro$oft XP cds like to feel dominant so i need to format before installing it) and put ubuntu on a vritual machine, which i don't really want to do :|

Help me plz ;-;

(right now i don't see any effects of overwriting it, but i guess it at least deletes any chance on getting the card to work, and i heard that the card works better on linux, overall the card is not good hardware and the 100% indispensable software it needs to run in windows SUCKS)

taurus
March 8th, 2009, 04:51 AM
If you are using gedit, there is a backup copy with the same name with a ~ at the end.

ls -la /etc/modprobe.d

DurandalArauz
March 8th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Found it lol

Thanks dude