PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How longs it supposed to be here

SherifBojangles
March 8th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Hey all

I downloaded Ubuntu, did everything you are supposed to, and when i put the disc into my computer it started up fine. I selected my language and then it took me to the screen with the options for installing Ubuntu (Try,Install, etc.) well, i went down to install and hit enter. My question is, how long is it supposed to be on that screen without a prompt? Its currently been on that screen for about 30-45 minutes...

taurus
March 8th, 2009, 04:12 AM
What's the spec of your machine?

SherifBojangles
March 8th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Intel Celeron M 420 @ 1.6GHz
1GB memory
250GB SATA Hard Drive

Its a Toshiba Satellite A100 PSAA8U-IFR00V

taurus
March 8th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Here's the tutorial with some screenshots so you can check with your installation.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

SherifBojangles
March 8th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Ok, thanks for the help, So it's not irregular for it to remain on the main screen for a long time?

3rdalbum
March 8th, 2009, 04:40 AM
The longest the menu should stay on the screen after you choosing an option should be about 10-20 seconds.

At the bottom of the screen in the menu, there's a thing that tells you to press one of the F-keys for "Alternative boot options" or something like that. If your hardware isn't very Linux-compatible you might need to add one of the alternative boot options to get it to boot.

SherifBojangles
March 8th, 2009, 04:45 AM
ok, i went to other boot options, and it has 5 options of ACPI=OFF noapic nolapic edd=on Free Software Only

If Modes is what needs changed
I have Normal, Safe Graphics Mode, Use Driver Update Cd, OEM Install

taurus
March 8th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Try the F4--Safe Graphics Mode.

SherifBojangles
March 8th, 2009, 04:50 AM
tried Safe Graphice Mode, still nothing... is my laptop hardware even compatible?

taurus
March 8th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Reboot and at the initial screen, pick check cd for defects to make sure the CD is good.

Otherwise, try using the alternate CD to install Ubuntun on your laptop then.

By the way, do you know what kind of graphic card does it have?

SherifBojangles
March 8th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Intel Mobility 945GM Express Graphic Chipset

Is this what you were asking for?

SherifBojangles
March 8th, 2009, 05:14 AM
FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM!!!! Thanks For all the help though. 1st time through I used a regular CD, then I went back and made a DVD...DVD fixed the problem...THANKS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS

mkvnmtr
March 8th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Most folks have better luck with a cd-r disk. The read and write disks sometimes give problems. Never tried a Dvd.