PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CTRL + ALT + DEL in ubuntu?

Gp.
March 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Is there a kind of Task manager or CTRL ALT DEL function for Linux if need be?

How do I end processes etc.. if I need too?

Rolcol
March 8th, 2009, 12:40 AM
You can try System > Administration > System Monitor. As far as I know, there aren't any key combinations defaulted to open it.

Dr Small
March 8th, 2009, 12:41 AM
ps aux | grep programname
kill pid_id

::or::

killall programname

:D

johnjb
March 8th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Try Ctrl+Alt+Backspace

Rolcol
March 8th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Try Ctrl+Alt+Backspace

That restarts X (The window manager). It will make you have to log back in. It's not what you want, Gp.

ekaqu
March 8th, 2009, 01:07 AM
there is a Task manager like program in the terminal called top. it has ways in it to kill processes.

if you know what program is causing the issue, you could use pkill or pgrep to get the process id and use that in the kill command.

ps -ef and ps aux are the same as top but they give a snapshot of all processes where as top is dynamic but only shows what fits on the screen (orders based on cpu%).

The Cog
March 8th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Also, if the errant program has a GUI, you can use the command xkill then the next window you click will have its application killed.

anapob
March 8th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Add SYSTEM MONITOR to the panel. So by that way you can activate it by clicking on it and end the "non responding" programs easily without having to go to the terminal.

RedSingularity
March 8th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Add SYSTEM MONITOR to the panel. So by that way you can activate it by clicking on it and end the "non responding" programs easily without having to go to the terminal.

Thats exactly how i like it. Nice easy access at the bottom.

aw4lly
March 8th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Theres also a "force quit" icon you can add to the panel, I find that better for killing unresponsive programs. You just click on that button and then on the window you want to kill.