PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] beginner in need of terminal help please!

Foster88
March 7th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Hello!

So of course I'm a beginner/noob. I'm getting acquainted with moving through out my OS Via terminal. I'm having trouble understanding the help options within the terminal. Could I please see an example or few of what one would type to lets say... install a file or move a file etc.I dont think I quite understand what the source and directory are. I'm hoping that this will help me learn to install various themes,and such other graphic/desktop customizations to my OS

Highly appreciate the feed back.

Thanks

avtolle
March 7th, 2009, 11:58 PM
To install a package in the repositories through the terminal do
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install name of package you want to installOthers will suggest using apt-get rather than aptitude; I started using aptitude "back in the day" and continue with it.

skymera
March 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Well i know some terminal commands, but not greatly in depth.
I make some examples, hopefully someone can expand. I use example directorys and file names blah blah :)
Use sudo when moving stuff to places other than your home (or where you dont have write permissions)

Move a file

sudo mv /home/USER/Desktop/file.txt /usr/share/

Copying

cp /home/USER/Desktop/file.txt /home/USER/Documents

You install a program using APT

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install htop

Install .DEB files

cd /location/of/file.deb
sudo dpkg -i filename.deb

Some basic terminal commands, these you probably will use the most :)

bapoumba
March 8th, 2009, 12:01 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommandlineHowto

taurus
March 8th, 2009, 12:01 AM
http://www.ss64.com/bash/

DigiTan
March 8th, 2009, 12:26 AM
In practical terms, what are the advantages of aptitude vs. apt-get? I've heard aptitude is generally the stronger of the two.

ivanvajar
March 8th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Search for Prentice.Hall.A.Practical.Guide.to.Ubuntu.Linux.De c.2007.pdf on the web. It's a great Ubuntu book.

ekaqu
March 8th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I'm having trouble understanding the help options within the terminal. Could I please see an example or few of what one would type to lets say... install a file or move a file etc.I dont think I quite understand what the source and directory are.

the mv command moves a file to a new location and can also change a file.

mv file1.txt file.txt This basically just renames the file file1.txt to file.txt

mv file.txt ~/Desktop
this moves the file.txt to the user's desktop.

cd ~
this changes your dir to the user's home dir.

For installing files, that depends on what the file is. If you want to install a program, you should first look if the repositories have it and use a command like:

sudo apt-get install jedit
This will install the program jedit.

if you have a .deb file, to install normally you type

sudo dpkg -i filename.deb
This will install the filename.deb file

If you are given a program's source, the README file should normally tell you how to install, so read that then follow what is said there.

presence1960
March 8th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Hello!

So of course I'm a beginner/noob. I'm getting acquainted with moving through out my OS Via terminal. I'm having trouble understanding the help options within the terminal. Could I please see an example or few of what one would type to lets say... install a file or move a file etc.I dont think I quite understand what the source and directory are. I'm hoping that this will help me learn to install various themes,and such other graphic/desktop customizations to my OS

Highly appreciate the feed back.

Thanks

Download this and extract it. These are instructions for basic maneuvering and file operations in terminal. There are exercises at the end of each "lesson" to make sure you got it right. The name of the document is quaint but it helped me immensely with terminal.