PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network Disconnected in Ubuntu 8.10

LiviooT
March 7th, 2009, 11:24 PM
This is my second thread on this subject since the first one was unsuccessful.

I recently installed Intrepid Ibex on my desktop so I can fiddle with it. I dual booted with Windows 7 Beta. After the initial install, I had a few problems with my network: Ubuntu seemed to search in vain for network settings only to notify that "the network has been disconnected". After a few restarts, the Internet worked just fine :popcorn:.

Now the Internet stopped working again... Network manager tries to retrieve automatic settings but ends up telling me "Network has been disconnected" all over again :(.

I tried entering the settings manually - no good. The network works just fine in Windows and keep in mind it worked just fine in Ibex as well... I even connected my old cellphone and it identified my Orange carrier network and gave me GPRS-powered Internet :confused: But wired broadband doesn't work?? WTF!

Here's what the terminal said after I ran lshw -C network:

*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: e6:f4:2a:6a:ce:b7
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

So? what's the problem? Please give me a solution... I'm a fairly new user btw so keep it simple, please!

Thank you!

LiviooT
March 8th, 2009, 01:02 AM
thank you... very helpful forum... I can see the ubuntu love... spreading :D

think I'm gonna put my 4 muscles to good use :)

Iowan
March 8th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Sometimes it takes more than an hour to get a response - it may take more than 3 to get a "good" one, and more than 4 muscles to get more than 4 muscles back ;)
If you're running Gnome, Network Manager stores its files in a different place - check /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf.