PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will my PC be compatable? I've looked around with not much info

Dejitaru-Kira
March 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hey

ABSOLUTE Linux beginner here, I've only used Fedora on a friends PC and I was slightly put off by it.

But, I'm getting slightly sick of Windows atm as it's just using up too much of my PCs RAM with Superfetch and I never use my PC for more than MSN, IRC, Web browsing and Music. So I thought I'd give Ubuntu a go!

My specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500
4GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz DDR2 RAM
nVidia 8400GS
RaLink RT61 Turbo Wireless LAN Card
MSI Motherboard w/ VIA Chipset
ATAPI DVD-R/RW/DL Drive
Seagate 250GB Hard Drive

I googled around a little and it came to a thread on here so I thought it would be a good idea to ask.

Thanks for any help :)

ClaytonOT
March 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Was this a joke?

You have a system that could run 10 Ubuntus if you wanted... My normal start-up memory is about 300mb (which is with an integrated gfx card, aswell) When I get my docks loaded and pidgin up and firefox rolling I sit at around 400mb usage, though the more you use firefox the more resources it'll suck up (tabbing mostly)

xpod
March 7th, 2009, 10:39 PM
You have a system that could run 10 Ubuntus if you wanted

Or one Ubuntu and a Vista virtual machine:D

thtrgremlin
March 7th, 2009, 10:45 PM
For entire machines, this is THE website to go to: http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/

For individual parts, a must web site: http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/index.php

My biggest recommendation is try out the machine with a LiveCD, turn on 'extra' effects in the "appearance" preferences (for computers with 3D cards), and go to youtube and install flash player to see the videos play right, and that you get sound. Ensure that you can also connect to the Internet. To test wireless, just make sure it can "see" wireless networks. you don't necessarily need to connect to them. If there are no wireless networks in the area (though unlikely in a computer store), be sure either the wireless card is on the HCL above, and that you feel comfortable following any directions it may list that are needed to work.

In short, the important things to check are: 3D card, sound, wireless. Any other problems will be obvious when you try and start from the LiveCD.

Best Luck!

note: it is typically it is very low end stuff that can have a problem. Everything you listed is top of the line. I am sure it would run great, but he above guide will let you do more than take my word for it.

For example, when it says "RaLink RT61 Turbo Wireless LAN Card", that is great and will likely work, but when it says "Gets laptop is has wirlesss", that is when you really need to be concerned, and typically where most people run into problems.

Dejitaru-Kira
March 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I'm downloading Ubuntu now, but I want to just format my C: which has Vista on to Ubuntu, not try it out from the CD.

The thread was mainly to ask if anyone knew of any problems I may have with certain parts, eg graphics card, but it sounds all good which is awesome :)

Can someone link me to a good site for drivers?
Thanks.

bmj2728
March 7th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I run Ubuntu 8.10 on a similar system. You should do a little searching around before you take the leap. With 4GB of RAM you may want to consider the 64-bit version of Ubuntu.

You noted you were put off by Fedora, so you need to consider if Linux is right for you. Linux is not for everyone(yet). You'll definitely want to look into a dual-boot set-up if you go for the full install. Check it out off the live cd first though, with te understanding that performance will be decreased because the CD drive is slower than the HDD.

I'll leave you with this - Linux is not Windows. Expecting Linux to work exactly like Windows out of the box would be a mistake. But I think if you go into Linux with open mind you'll find that it's very user friendly. I'd also recommend doing a little research on different distros. The world of Linux is vast, and can be a little much at first, but give it a shot, it may not be for you, but you never know till you give it a try.

Dejitaru-Kira
March 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Oh I know this.
I'm not a total computard, I think I've used Ubuntu before but just vaguely, using Fedora was the only time I used it for quite a while.

And I'm downloading the x64 CD now, found a thread on Linux Questions which has drivers for my RT61 wireless card so that should be me to begin with.

Ms_Angel_D
March 7th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hello Dejitaru-Kira,

First off I want to welcome you to the ubuntu community, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Second, I will provide you with a few helpful links to get you started on your Journey.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index
https://help.ubuntu.com
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com
http://fosswire.com/post/2007/08/unixlinux-command-cheat-sheet/

I hope these links can help you, I really recommend the psychocats page to all newcomers, Aysiu has done a brilliant job and setting up those tutorials.

Good luck and again Welcome,
Angel

RedRat
March 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM
You can give Ubuntu 8.10 a try but I have seen here some difficulties with it. It is still in shake-out mode. Try it and if you can get it going for your purposes you are all set.

However, I might recommend, since you are a new user and have no experience with Ubuntu, that you try to install 8.04 LTS instead of 8.10. Version 8.04 is stable and bug worked out. As you get more experience with Ubuntu, then you might want to upgrade to a more later version of Ubuntu (9.04 will soon be released).

Regardless of the verison, be prepared for some video annoyances. Come here to the Ubuntu forums to help get any of these resolved. Everytime the kernel is updated, you seem to need to reinstall the video drivers. Adding EnvyNG helps this along, so make sure that you have it installed.

ClaytonOT
March 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Can someone link me to a good site for drivers?
Thanks.

Your System>Hardware Drivers (you'll see it when you install it) should have what you need.

Dejitaru-Kira
March 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Oh, so Ubuntu already comes with drivers? Cool.

Thanks again everyone.

thtrgremlin
March 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Depending on which among many reasons you may dislike about Windows, I personally feel Fedora (namely any RPM / KDE based distro) is everything I hate about the Windows interface, and that is just when things are working the way you expect.

emshains
March 7th, 2009, 11:08 PM
The video card and the network card will be supported. I don't know about your mb. You should just try ubuntu out, by using a liveCD, and make your choice basing your opinion on that.

ClaytonOT
March 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Oh, so Ubuntu already comes with drivers? Cool.

Thanks again everyone.

It already has the drivers you need compiled (in most cases, not all) and you access that through the System>Hardware Drivers. They're not on your system is like synaptic package manger, but for third-party and proprietary drivers.

presence1960
March 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Welcome! First and foremost.

As some have already mentioned Linux is not Windows. So expect a learning curve. This will demand patience, open-mindedness and the ability to search these forums and willingness to try new methods. But it is all worth it, That being said I will recommend a dual boot with Windows/Linux. This way you will have the safety net of being able to boot into Windows should you get jammed up. This also gives you the ability to learn under no stress. It isn't like if you don't solve a problem now you can't get done what you need to do. When this happens just boot into Windows if you can't solve the problem now. Then later come back to Linux and try finding a fix. Besides how long have you been using Windows? A few more weeks or months won't hurt right? When you are 100% certain you need Windows no more then you can get rid of it. But until you reach that point I would dual boot.

Dejitaru-Kira
March 8th, 2009, 12:33 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2m77uza.png

Woo! Posting from Ubuntu.
Everything is working fine apart from the Hardware Drivers util, it's asking me for my password, I put it in and then nothing :/

Any ideas?

Ms_Angel_D
March 8th, 2009, 01:08 AM
The password is the same password you use to login to your desktop with.

Dejitaru-Kira
March 8th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Oh I know, I put in that password and it doesn't do anything :(

And whats the terminal command to install a .tar.gz file?
Thanks.

bmj2728
March 8th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Dejitaru-Kira,

you'll need to unpack the GZ first with your preferred app.

in terminal cd to the directory with the programs and use

sudo sh ./XXX

XXX being the script you are trying to run

mrbiggbrain
March 8th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Or one Ubuntu and a Vista virtual machine:D

or 1 ubuntu, running a ubuntu virtual machine, running a fedora virtual machine, running a windows vista virtual machine, running a NDS emulator running NDS-linux, running a SSH connection to the first virtual machine......

what... it could!

Dejitaru-Kira
March 8th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Sorry if I'm bringing this back up, I'm in the UK and just woke up and use my bookmarks :P

So I unpack the .tar.gz then write sude sh ./filename.example ?

bmj2728
March 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
It will depend on the particular instructions for the file. There is probably a readme with the specifics for your file, it will probably be extracted with the additional files. For instance, if the files were extracted there may be a shell script written named "install". After you cd to the directory that you extracted the files to in the terminal, you would type sh ./install to run the script. sudo allows you to run the command as the root.

tmclaugh
March 9th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I saw that you had an 8400GS, I do as well except that it's a pci (dunno if that makes a difference). Everytime I try to get the NVIDIA drivers loaded, it screws up the resolution. I've tried using ENVY - how's it working for you?

elliotn
March 9th, 2009, 05:13 AM
The dude will run ubuntu fine with all extras, look I run 8.10 with my old computer, a p3, 800mhz cpu, unknown gfx, 256mb sdram and a crystal sound card, that thing worked from the box, I browse the net although firefox killing my ram, play music and videos, watched few youtube videos. So what I need now is a ligth browser than firefox.

cariboo
March 9th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I have a system with same specs except for the wireless device. I use a Dlink wua-1340 which uses the rt73 driver. Everything works out of the box. The last time I installed Jaunty the latest video drivers wouldn't download using System-->Administration-->Hardware Drivers so I just installed the drivers using Synaptic and then activated them from Hardware Drivers.

Jim

RedRat
March 9th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I saw that you had an 8400GS, I do as well except that it's a pci (dunno if that makes a difference). Everytime I try to get the NVIDIA drivers loaded, it screws up the resolution. I've tried using ENVY - how's it working for you?

I have an 8600GT card and EnvyNg works very well. In fact it seems to be the only way to get the driver installed. However, make sure that you have downloaded nvidia-settings and run this program to set your resolution. You must run it using gksudo, i.e.,
gksudo nvidia-settings

If you do not use gksudo or sudo the changes to the config file cannot be saved, you must be superuser.

bmj2728
March 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM

When you say it screws up the resolution, what exactly do you mean? Are you losing the GUI? Do things become unreadable? Are you losing the edges of your desktop? What kind of monitor are you using? Like another post said, get and run nvidia-settings, that could help. Some problems, like overscan(losing the edges) can be more complicated. Luckily, there are a lot of good people on these boards who are more than happy to help you get your rig running.

joey-elijah
March 9th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hey
But, I'm getting slightly sick of Windows atm as it's just using up too much of my PCs RAM with Superfetch and I never use my PC for more than MSN, IRC, Web browsing and Music.

I don't mean to be annoying but...

You can disable Superfetch and superfetch does an important job in helping your programmes launch quicker. RAM that is not used might as well not be there - so why have 4GB if you're going to moan at it actually being used?

3rdalbum
March 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Sorry if I'm bringing this back up, I'm in the UK and just woke up and use my bookmarks :P

So I unpack the .tar.gz then write sude sh ./filename.example ?

What are you trying to install?

Chances are that the ".tar.gz" file you've downloaded is source code; the lowest common denominator for Linux software (it can be compiled to run on anything) and also the most difficult to get going.

Go to the Synaptic Package Manager (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager) or the Add/Remove Applications program, and you'll find a massive amount of software available that can be easily installed with just a couple of clicks.

Always look for software in Synaptic first, before venturing to third party websites.

bmj2728
March 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM
What are you trying to install?

Chances are that the ".tar.gz" file you've downloaded is source code; the lowest common denominator for Linux software (it can be compiled to run on anything) and also the most difficult to get going.

Go to the Synaptic Package Manager (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager) or the Add/Remove Applications program, and you'll find a massive amount of software available that can be easily installed with just a couple of clicks.

Always look for software in Synaptic first, before venturing to third party websites.

Synaptic is always the best choice.

tmclaugh
March 10th, 2009, 06:33 AM
When you say it screws up the resolution, what exactly do you mean?

After I enable the restricted drivers (with envy as well) the top half of the screen is on the bottom half of the monitor with a garbled black and white 1 inch margin running across the top. I tried it both on my Intel DG45FC and my Via 7001. I really wish the X4500 was better supported. I will try messing with it again shortly, but I'm somewhat new to Ubuntu and still seem to get tripped up by the small things.
Thanks