PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Restoring a Broken X - ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Series

RudolfMDLT
March 7th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Hi there,

Bought a new laptop today - came with Fedora Core, so I reformatted and loaded Ubuntu.

Tried installing the latest ati drivers from the ati website and failed miserably. Where the login screen should be are hundreds of orange stripes or, on my failed attempts to restore Xorg.conf i just get a blank black screen. I followed this giude: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Hardy_Installation_Guide

Now I just want to restore Xorg to it's original state, I have tried copying back the original xorg.conf file and I've also tried reconfiguring the X display server - "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". No Success. I'm Running 8.04 on the laptop.

Any help in restoring my system will greatly be appreciated - I really don't want to re-format. sorry I can't paste the xorg.conf as I'm typing this from my desktop.

Cheers,

Rudolf

PS: Anybody know why when reconfiguring the xserver you no longer get asked what driver to load? Just questions about keyboard layouts.