PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I-Tunes on Windows: Can it be transferred to Ubuntu?

Bill Sheppard
March 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I'm inquiring for a friend who is interested in Ubuntu and is asking, can I-Tunes on his Windows operating system be transferred to Ubuntu? If so, what is the procedure? Thanks

Bill

Svensk023
March 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM
You can try usuing wine to run i-tunes under ubuntu, that will take a bit of tinkering to get working (you will also need to manually install quicktime since itunes uses that).
or you can just plug in your ipod while under ubuntu, and it will just treat it as a external HDD and you can copy all your music over without it getting erased, like how it would in windows or mac. BUT if he has alot of music downloaded from itunes, its DRM protected and will need to either be un-encrypted (very hard/time consuming) or you will have to use itunes through wine instead of a linux-native audio player.
good luck

Kareeser
March 7th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't try running iTunes on Linux. It's way more hassle than it is worth.

Rhythmbox supports iPod and iPod-like devices out-of-the-box... AND, it comes pre-installed with Ubuntu.

sneeks
March 7th, 2009, 09:54 PM
if your buddy has a lot of drm,the only sure way is to burn that stuff to disc,then take it over to ubuntu,apart from that the pod should work fine.

Svensk023
March 7th, 2009, 10:02 PM
if your buddy has a lot of drm,the only sure way is to burn that stuff to disc,then take it over to ubuntu,apart from that the pod should work fine.

oh ya, totally forgot about burning cd's to bypass DRM >.<

RiceMonster
March 7th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Sorry, but it can't be done. I wouldn't recommend trying wine either, as I've never heard of iTunes running in it. Try one of the many linux alternatives. If you like iTunes, you may like Banshee, Rhythmbox, and Amarok. They all work with iPods as well.

Svensk023
March 7th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Sorry, but it can't be done. I wouldn't recommend trying wine either, as I've never heard of iTunes running in it. Try one of the many linux alternatives. If you like iTunes, you may like Banshee, Rhythmbox, and Amarok. They all work with iPods as well.

what cant be done?

RiceMonster
March 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM
what cant be done?

You can't run iTunes in Linux. Wine could be an option, yes, but last I've heard nobody has ever gotten it to work.

Svensk023
March 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM
oh ok. was just clarifying on what you were talking about since we gave more than one method on how to get DRM to work on ubuntu.