PDA

View Full Version : Jinzora - your experiences

rooster
December 27th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of setting up jinzora (http://www.jinzora.com) and stream my MP3-files to all computers and a TV at the house. :-k

At the moment I'm running VDR (see my sig) on Debian with two DVB-S-cards and I want to install Apache and PHP for Jinzora on the same machine (for acces from TV for streaming music).

What are your experiences of a MP3-streaming solution with a nice interface?

Because of the high importance of the WAF* I was thinking of Jinzora - you can download album pictures, lyrics, browse albums, see similar music etc. But I heard that the performace is not so good, but we are only 3 persons in the house and maybe I can stream music from a friend of mine who is using Jinzora (and where I saw it and was fascinated from it). And I'm not experienced in setting up a web server or working with php so a good how-to is very much needed...

So please tell me what you think about it, if you want!

Rooster

*for those who doesn't know: WAF = women's acceptance factor

andlinux21
December 29th, 2005, 06:12 AM
I just installed jinzora so I havent run into any problems yet other than I need to go and retag a lot of my mp3s. So far so good I like it and my best friend can listen to my collection as well which is nice...:cool:

rooster
January 3rd, 2006, 04:25 PM
Hi andlinux,

thank you for sharing your experience! If I only have to tag my mp3-files I think that this can be done automagical. I'll search the net and try to find something.

And then I'll post it.

Rooster

rooster
January 4th, 2006, 01:54 PM
If I only have to tag my mp3-files I think that this can be done automagical. I'll search the net and try to find something.

I found Easytag (http://easytag.sourceforge.net/) for tagging files, there is also the functionality for tagging automatically:

Auto tagging: parse filename and directory to complete automatically the fields (using masks)

ATM I can only trust the description and I have to test, if it is working reliable.

Maybe anybody who uses / used it can comment to it?

(I know, I ask a lot about comments, but maybe I don't have to "invent the wheel" again ;) )

Rooster

egon spengler
January 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Personally I found audio tagtool (http://pwp.netcabo.pt/paol/tagtool/#shots) better than easytag but to be honest it was so long ago I used it that I can't really recall what the shortcomings with easytag were

andlinux21
February 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Anyone else running jinzora I like it but I am having some problems with MySQL setup for large catalog of music files:confused:

Almighty
May 7th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I want to dig this thread from the dead if you don't mind.

Is anyone having problems with Jinzora2? I have mine installed but I can't grab any meta data for some reason.

Brendt2
September 8th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Not a useful post but I have totally enjoyed the work the Jinzora guys have done! Kudos!

GrammatonCleric
October 23rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
I've only had a few issues with Jinzora and would love to see some development movement. I have a very large music collection (200gig+) so my main has been performance with jinzora. I've tried most of the performance tweaks, which has helped but the site is still not perfect. The second issue was with ogg support. I've recently converted my collection to ogg (using pacpl) so to be able to stream ogg you need to setup resampling to mp3, which is really strange since ogg excels at streaming. It would be nice to stream ogg in it's native format.

-GC

Badjaccur
November 9th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Jinzora was a breeze to set up. It has quite some features and it does the job well but if you don't need the album art and are looking for audio-only I can recommend [mp3act] (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp3act/).
I linked to the project page on Sourceforge because it looks like the project is no longer maintained. Still [mp3act] version 1.2 works fine. The main reason I use [mp3act] is because of the slick and fast AJAX powered interface.