PDA

View Full Version : Free antivirus software?

BWF89
December 27th, 2005, 02:03 PM
My dads subscription to Norton or Mcafee or whatever he uses just ran out today.

What free (as in gratis) antivirus software is there for windows that is almost or just as effective and that comes from a source that doesn't bundle it with spyware?

transactionlogfiller
December 27th, 2005, 02:07 PM
AVG free edition is what I use on Windows boxen.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

psoleko
December 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Also, have a look at ClamWin AV. It's not bad as a stand alone scanner and works well. There are also more free AV programs such as Avast and AntiVir, which also do a good job.

Miro
December 27th, 2005, 02:14 PM
If it's for home use, check out AVG http://free.grisoft.com , it's ugly but it works ;-).

Edit: Uh, I'm so slow...

benplaut
December 27th, 2005, 03:40 PM
i like avast+ZoneAlarm firewall... i've never seen something get through ;)

BWF89
December 27th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I installed ClamWin, AGV Free edition, and Avast 4 Home free edition.

I should be safe.

benplaut
December 27th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I installed ClamWin, AGV Free edition, and Avast 4 Home free edition.

I should be safe.

:shock:

first of all, either AVG or Avast... alot of antiviruses conflict with each other.

second, you need a good firewall. ZoneAlarm gets my vote.

BWF89
December 27th, 2005, 04:08 PM
:shock:

first of all, either AVG or Avast... alot of antiviruses conflict with each other.

second, you need a good firewall. ZoneAlarm gets my vote.
We have Mcafee Firewall. It was Norton that ourvirus subscription ran out on.

carl13
December 27th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Check and see who his ISP is and if they offer any freebies. Internet customers through Comcast can get free downloads for most of McAfee's products including anti-virus software.

KiwiNZ
December 27th, 2005, 09:03 PM
bfw89 get ya Dad to install Ubuntu , best dammed virus protection around:p:)

SteelValor
December 27th, 2005, 09:10 PM
The FBI was endorsing ClamAV, but I'm not sure if that is still the case. I'm gonna try out Avast tonight as I too have a low power laptop that could use some reclaimed resources.

xequence
December 27th, 2005, 09:36 PM
I downloaded norton 2006... Horrible software. Good thing I didnt buy it =P Never use norton, it is more a virus then what it trys to stop.

AVG is good.

mstlyevil
December 27th, 2005, 09:43 PM
The FBI was endorsing ClamAV, but I'm not sure if that is still the case. I'm gonna try out Avast tonight as I too have a low power laptop that could use some reclaimed resources.

Avast is a mistake for a low powered lappy. It is a resource hog and has several extra processes running in the background you probally wont use or need. I would use AVG free edition in that situation myself.

BWF89
December 27th, 2005, 09:56 PM
My hard drive is 60GB and of that 53.1GB is filled up. ClamWin has been scanning my computer for about 5.5 hours so far and it's still going.

Is this normal compared to other commercial virus scanners?

bfw89 get ya Dad to install Ubuntu , best dammed virus protection around:p:)
Linux doesn't support my Canon S520 printer and Compaq S200 scanner. And my mom would be completely lost if she had to use a browser rather than her bloated MSN internet access program. That coupled with bad experiences with Linux such as Fedora Core 2 eracing my Windows partition and Windows not running right while FC2 was installed (it was running badly before I installed Linux) and the fact that my parents distrust any major software that isn't commercial or created by a company = never going to happen.

The good news is that if my parents get a new computer next year (likely) I'll be free to do as I wish with the old one. Like installing Debian.

SteelValor
December 27th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Avast is a mistake for a low powered lappy. It is a resource hog and has several extra processes running in the background you probally wont use or need. I would use AVG free edition in that situation myself.

Thanks for saving me. I'll stick with AVG :D

AndyW
December 27th, 2005, 10:55 PM
For a firewall, we use Kerio Personal Firewall (free). It works really well, infact it blocks almost too much. I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and it asks if I want to allow it to Windows Task Manager to start. It also blocks ads and pop ups.

Aithnea
December 27th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I used Avast and Zonealarm on my mashine and love it. They work great together.