PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 wireless help needed.

bapy
March 6th, 2009, 08:39 AM
New to ubuntu and everything works great except i cant seem to get the wireless to work. I'm using a VAIO the model number is VGN-NR220E and the wireless card its using is a Atheros AR242x 802.11, the ubuntu version i'm using is the 8.10 64bit version.

really need help getting the wireless to work, it anyone has a methods that worked for them please post. thank you.

ddrichardson
March 7th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Have you tried using NDISWrapper?

bapy
March 9th, 2009, 02:38 AM
not yet, but i'll be sure to look into it. thanks.

binbash
March 9th, 2009, 10:40 AM
try those 2 methods.Both works fine for me :

http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/02/how-to-get-your-atheros-ar242x-working_25.html
http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/02/how-to-get-your-atheros-ar242x-working_27.html

bapy
March 19th, 2009, 02:44 AM
thank you so muuuuchhh! it worked just fine =)

djfick
March 19th, 2009, 02:51 AM
My wireless was working on my Vaio up until an hour ago when I installed a batch of recommended updates. Now it doesn't see any wireless networks at all.

I didn't "change" anything. I installed recommended security updates that somehow made what was working stop working. I even downloaded and installed the updates wirelessly. A few minutes later I got a message asking me to put in my WEP key to reconnect to the wireless network. After watching the pretty blue snail chase it's tail, I rebooted the machine. Then it saw no networks to connect to. I disabled security on my linksys, and the laptop saw it. Then after another restart, it didn't see anything again. The update disabled my computer, not me. Why can't it simply be undone, ala a restore function?

dugh
March 19th, 2009, 03:34 AM
My wireless was working on my Vaio up until an hour ago when I installed a batch of recommended updates. Now it doesn't see any wireless networks at all.

Same exact thing happened to me.

djfick
March 19th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Chances are we will die waiting for help

djfick
March 19th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Banged out my own solution by removing the network info and re entering SSID and key info after re establishing communication w/ router. Many thanks to all those who helped. This community rox!!!:rolleyes: