PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Need a good wireless "bridge"

High_Speed
March 6th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Hey all. I live in a two story apartment, and the cable modem is downstairs. I also have a Linksys WRT54G2 router down there that is broadcasting wireless throughout the apartment. I normally just get on the wireless with my laptop, but I'm building a new desktop to go upstairs in the den. My desktop computer is going to be upstairs, but is going to need Internet access. I can't run a cable up to it (because I'm renting the place). What I want to do is get some kind of bridge device that will sit up in the den and stay connected to the wireless network, but feed ethernet ports out the back to other computers. So in other words....I want something like a router that sits upstairs and stays connected to the wireless network being broadcast from downstairs. I then want to be able to connect computers to this device so they can stay on the network. I would prefer this device not "route" though, but rather just provide a means of connecting to my existing network. This is because I don't want to create another subnet to have to deal with.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I need to buy?