PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] connecting to wired network is hit and miss

matrooswolf
March 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
After having a disk crash on me, I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 instead of 8.04 which I used until now and I have two showstopping problems.

1. Connecting with dhcp to the wired network on start-up is hit and miss. Sometimes I get a connection, sometimes not. I just restart the computer until I get a connection. But there must be a better way.
I would leave my computer on day and night if not for the second big showstopper.

2. Ubuntu seems to lock up randomly. Just now I was watching a movie, and halfway through the computer locked. Sound starts skipping like a cd that is skipping. Mouse didn't move, ctrl-alt-backspace didn't work, ... It already happened four or five times since yesterday.

I have an ASUS P5KPL-VM motherboard with all Intel chips. Intel Core Duo, 4GB Ram.
Ubuntu is fully updated.
I never had any problems with Ubuntu 8.04.

I do not know where to start to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

matrooswolf
March 11th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Intrepid Ibex kept crashing. Every hour.

Updating to Jaunty did not help. (I thought I give it a try.)

Connecting to the wired network kept being erratic.

And Firefox was very very sluggish. In Jaunty is was so slow it was unusable.

So I reverted to Hardy Herron, and lo and behold: no more crashes, I always get a connetion, and Firefox is usable again.

So what's up Ubuntu?

Helios1276
March 12th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Hardy has been around longer and is an LTS, therefore ,arguably, more solid. Only thing going on at Ubuntu is progress, try the later releases at a later stage. Also, home routers and DCHP are notorious no matter what OS you run.