PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MacMini and Ubuntu PPC. Installed and working

karimone
March 4th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hi all, this is my first post. I'm Italian, but I live in Klaipeda, Lithuania. I just finished to install the Ubuntu 8.10 Server (PPC Version) on my Mac Mini 1.42 Ghz.

I'm very happy about my choice, before that on the macmini I installed the Tiger OSX Server and I swith to the ubuntu for 2 reasons:

Tiger OSX is very heavy to handle for a Mac Mini PPC with just 512MB of RAM and I use the mini without monitor, keyboard and mouse, but only via ssh or vnc
I lost the OSX 10.4 Tiger Server serial number... (I guess you understood...)

My opinion is that OSX is the best OS for desktop users, but Linux and the various distro rocks on the server side. I installed the ubuntu just 'cause is a "in" distro and my past with debian, but how I use now the server, just ssh and no desktop, ubuntu seems the debian. I pass most of the time to apt-getting the server.

Anyway was a nice experience.

cyberdork33
March 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM
yes, the commandline install of Ubuntu is pretty close to a base debian install. The real difference is the repositories since the packages are maintained by Ubuntu, not debian. but for a server, there is likely little to no difference in what you would want to install.

karimone
March 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM
yes, the commandline install of Ubuntu is pretty close to a base debian install. The real difference is the repositories since the packages are maintained by Ubuntu, not debian. but for a server, there is likely little to no difference in what you would want to install.

So the packages have two mainteners? One to the original debian distro and one follower on the ubuntu distro?

cyberdork33
March 5th, 2009, 12:25 AM
So the packages have two mainteners? One to the original debian distro and one follower on the ubuntu distro?
It' more like the debian packages are repackaed for Ubuntu (some with patches or other mods). Plus there are bunch of Ubuntu specific packages that are not in the debian repos.

karimone
March 5th, 2009, 07:09 AM
It' more like the debian packages are repackaed for Ubuntu (some with patches or other mods). Plus there are bunch of Ubuntu specific packages that are not in the debian repos.

Now is clear. Thanks!