PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Limited connectivity wireless ADSL problem

KevNice
March 4th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I had posted a similar thread about this, but due to strange wireless issues, I have re-installed Ubuntu and am now using Hardy 8.04 again.

Basically, my problem can be summed up on this thread, as the poster has basically the exact same problem as me:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=759815&highlight=connecting+wireless+limited+connectivity

In short, I am trying to connect to a limited connectivity wireless network, and then have to use PPPOE ADSL to get online. This works in Vista.

I followed the solution in the above thread. I used eth0 and not eth1, and the network name is CHTN_T07AW

I put the following into terminal:

sudo iwconfig eth0 essid CHTN_T07Aw

And it told me that it was an invalid argument.

Any solution? Perhaps it is an encrypted network and I need more information? It would make sense if it were encrypted, it is the network my workplace uses. If so, please tell me how to gather the information that I would need.

Thanks

N04h
March 4th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I'll check the invalid argument when I get home, but your network wouldn't happen to be encrypted by chance? If so that command won't work for ya!

KevNice
March 5th, 2009, 07:04 AM
It probably is encrypted, as it's the network at my office. Is there a way to do it on an encrypted network, using a different command?

N04h
March 5th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Same command, but you need to specify a key. Do a google search and it should turn up what you're looking for.

KevNice
March 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM
thanks but I am not quite sure what "key" I am searching for, or what it is supposed to do. What should I search for?

KevNice
March 6th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Actually, after thinking on it, I am not sure it is encrypted. Under Windows, there is no password required for connecting to the wireless

KevNice
March 12th, 2009, 08:07 AM
bump

any ideas?

it would be great if I could Ubuntu at work, since that's where my Chinese/Japanese inputs are, and I need them for the occasional document