PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop won't boot, screen broken, can't read fsck errors

El Lance-O
March 2nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
The problem I am having is my laptop screen is broken and I can't see what fsck is telling me as gdm hasn't opened yet and kicked on my external.

This is as much as I see:

* Sett---
* Active
* Checki--
fsck 1.4(?)
/dev/sda
Checking
Checking
Error
hort
/dev/
fsck--died(?)

(red asterik here)

Sometimes I can scroll by hitting return, but not always. When I do this I can kind of make out something about the fsck failing, and that I need to do matenience, something about recovery, and hitting ctrl-d when I am done to restart.

Then I am greeted with a root console. So my real question is how do I force the text to my external monitor so I can see what the hell I am doing?

Please get back to me soon, this is pretty urgent as this computer has school stuff that I NEED for tomorrow.

Thanks ahead of time!

El Lance-O
March 3rd, 2009, 12:01 AM
P.S. I'm on Intrepid, I just haven't been on the forums in forever.

Also I noticed before all of this happened, firestarter said I was connected to some odd ports and such, both under the ISP BTservices and Asiamail or something. I ran some 'tiger' program to do a security check on my system from instructions I found on the forums here.

Also, I read on here that it was nothing to worry about, but is it possible I got hacked?

El Lance-O
March 3rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
*bump*

I'm seriously fed up with being ignored on these forums.

00b00nt00
March 3rd, 2009, 02:03 AM
On my laptop, pressing 'Function' and 'F4' will toggle between the internal and external displays. Maybe your laptop has such a function.