PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] No network manager after upgrade to 2.6.27-11

blissb2599
March 2nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
I did a clean install of kubuntu 8.10 (64bit) with KDE 4 (love it!). I was happy that my D-Link wireless usb dongle was recognized and configured without any intervention! I just clicked on the network manager icon, selected my network, entered the WEP key, and was off and running.

Ran the updates -- which updated the kernel to 2.6.27-11. When I restarted the machine, the network manager icon never showed up, and I had no network connectivity. Running ifconfig and iwconfig showed the wlan0 adapter attached to an unsecured network, but without having acquired an address. I tried re-starting networking, running NetworkManager from the command line, ifdown/ifup -- everything my limited little brain could think of, all without success.

I went so far as to wipe and re-install. Again, the connection worked until I did the updates. I finally thought to reboot into the previous kernel (2.6.26-7 I think), and everything worked again.

What I've done for the moment is to set grub to boot into the older kernel by default. Obviously I don't think that's a tenable long-term fix.

Suggestions?