PDA

View Full Version : Custom Painted Laptop?

GJLenon
March 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
I've been running ubuntu 8.10 on my main desktop for quite a bit now, and the other day when cleaning out my closet I found my "craptop." This is a Fujitsu Lifebook I-4187, a clunker of a computer if I've ever seen one. Anyway, I've decided to paint mine and wondered if anyone has any experience?

After doing a lot of research, I'm pretty set on using a vinyl/upholstery paint for a couple reasons. First, the paint is designed to be durable, flexible, and not rub off. Second, the lid itself has external speakers, and I'm worried about using any other kind of paint for the cloth covering the speakers. If anyone has a better suggestion or reaffirms my suggestion, please tell me. :)

The color scheme currently on the craptop is a silver / metallic blue and I'm thinking I'll leave the silver on the computer (basically this means painting the lid / keyboard tray). I'm doing this because I doubt I can get off all the detail pieces to paint (dvd tray, card slots, etc). What color do you all suggest? I'm leaning towards a charcoal. I'd love to use a sand color that seems to prevalent in ubuntu but (1) I can't find one thats decent in vinyl paint, and (2) sand/gray? eww.

Next comes the lid itself. I'm debating either using a 3 tone cover (charcoal background, with a beige/sand or glossy black/silver ubuntu logo) or a 4 tone cover (charcoal background with a black, white, and yellow penguin).

My color choices are:

Gloss Black
White
Flat Black
Red
Desert Sand
Medium Gray
Burgundy
Medium Beige
Charcoal Gray
Medium Blue
Yellow
Blue
Silver

I'm rather tight on cash, and the paint is about $12 a can, so I'll probably stick to the three tone. What do you recommend for the ubuntu logo colors?

Thanks guys!

-Greg

GJLenon
March 3rd, 2009, 06:30 AM
Just a quick update, if I may. :)

I decided on a brand of paint called "SEM" which is specifically designed for vinyl dashes, seats, and carpet. It claims to be "flexible" and the hot paint girl (yummy) at "Space Age Paint" in Mesa, AZ claims it would work perfect.

SEM specifically states no sanding, no prep (other than a clean surface), nice.

I pulled off all the Windows symbols and used Bond-O to fill in the massive Fujistu symbol on the outer lid.

The majority of the case will be a dark graphite gray with the other parts being a medium gray.

I've purchased Photo quality paper, so I plan to make an 8" (diameter) ubuntu picture, print it out, cut it would, and glue it to the lid, should look nice.

Now my only concern is putting the darn thing back together again.

Photo's when I am done, if any interest is shown.

-Greg

Crafty Kisses
March 3rd, 2009, 07:17 AM
That sounds very cool! Please post pictures when you're done with this laptop.

konqueror7
March 3rd, 2009, 07:24 AM
yeah, that would be good if you post pictures of it here, i was also planning to paint my laptop (but using the sanding method), though haven't got the time to make it, thankfully someone can show me how...