PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the CD creator in gnome?

mickbuntu
February 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hi,

What do you think of the included CD-Creator in gnome and couple of apps that come built into gnome.

pparks1
February 28th, 2009, 06:19 PM
it's always worked out for me.

mickbuntu
February 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I was distracted by a notification for email and made a poll mistake. But i'm unable to fix it, so ignore the mistake thanks.

tgpraveen
February 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
this is removed and replaced by brasero itself in jaunty

Dylanby
February 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM

I'm not so sure that this is a good thing. I've migrated computer novices to Ubuntu and the built in burning features of Gnome are very newbie friendly. Much easier than them learning/using a standard burning application, in my experience.

Personally I've always used the CD creator for data and something more in depth for music/video.

Twitch6000
February 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM

Wow... jaunty starts sucking more and more...

Well atleast I won't have to deal with it :).

odda
February 28th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Wow... jaunty starts sucking more and more...

Well atleast I won't have to deal with it :).

Why not?

swoll1980
February 28th, 2009, 09:23 PM
When I bought a dvd drive it came with Nero for Windows, I gave nero a call, and got them to give me a Linux serial #, so I'm using that now it's pretty sweet

RedSingularity
February 28th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Brasero works just fine for me. I took it over the default CD creator.

Naiki Muliaina
February 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Brasero, Xubuntu, 64bit and Intrepid hasnt worked for me at all. Its a known problem i believe. Doesnt bother me either, i strip everything i dont like out at the start of every install anyways ^^

There doesnt appear to be 'not botherd' poll option ^^ Cant vote here hehe

missbliss
February 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Am I the only one that has a problem with Brasero? Every time I burn something with it the cd skips in all sorts of different places. I'm pretty sure it's due to Brasero b/c if I burn with a different software (see k3b when I was using Mandriva and Nero w/ Windows) every cd burned flawless.

:/

venator260
February 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I really don't like Brasero either.

When burning a cd, the artist, track title, and play time take an extremely long time to load. it shouldn't take 30 seconds to a minute and sometimes longer for it to read the ID3 tags and generate that information.

hessiess
February 28th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Works fine for me, hardly ever use CD's anymore tho.

BobLand
February 28th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Had some problems ripping recently using k3b. Tired k9copy and dvd:rip. Excellent products. Still use k3b for the easy ones tho.

bobland

Polygon
March 1st, 2009, 12:46 AM
it sucks and gnome knows it, hence why braseo will be replacing it.

RedSingularity
March 1st, 2009, 01:12 AM

Well i see we agree on something........we should discuss this matter over lunch.

Polygon
March 1st, 2009, 03:40 AM
Well i see we agree on something........we should discuss this matter over lunch.

huh?

i dont mean i replaced it with brasero on my machine....gnome is dropping nautilus-cd-creator or whatever its called and replacing it with brasero.

RedSingularity
March 1st, 2009, 03:44 AM
If you dont like the default setup why not just replace it with brasero?

Polygon
March 1st, 2009, 04:34 AM
*facepalm* just never mind.

Chilli Bob
March 1st, 2009, 05:00 AM

Why do you say it sucks? I use it all the time and it works perfectly. I know it lacks more advanced options, but I don't need them, so never bothered installing any other burner.

For less-than-computer-literate users, such as my parents who never used a PC until I gave them an Ubuntu box, it is easy to use and gets the job done. I say keep it in.

EDIT: I just checked and actually I have gnomebaker installed. I gotta clean out some of these old packages.

roachk71
March 1st, 2009, 05:22 AM
I tend to use the built-in CD creator off-and-on, though I like Graveman and Brasero more (the built-in burning app tends to crash under some circumstances.)

arm-c
March 1st, 2009, 05:23 AM
I love it. I just wish that it would give a button to clear the files burned vs having to select and delete when doing a new CD/DVD right after that. So a few tweeks... and I'll be MORE than happy with the burning I do for data / iso files...

As for Gnome Baker and Brasero... I hate the interface... but does feel a lot like other systems I have used... KbIII (i think) was best, but I am a Gnome convert now and hate the new KDE even more than the previous. I try to stay away from QT apps. But, the interface is too wide or something on my 1024x768 display, but besides that....

Gnome Baker and Brasero both fail me frequently on burning for some reason or another.

BUT that said, I am sure there are reasons to use those apps -- if nothing more than personal choice...

Finally, if the Gnome CD burner was an add-in, I'd add it immediately. If I had option of removal.. I wouldn't.

--- on the light side of things... would love to see Gnome Light that targeted low end machines... for now LXDE is my choice... but I miss some of the integration of apps such as burner and updates etc...

arm-c
March 1st, 2009, 05:29 AM
I just read some of the posts that say Nautilus CD Burner is going away... how do we keep it in? The poll shows so far that majority like it. That is a poor choice....

AT LEAST... LET ME HAVE OPTION OF INSTALLING IT ASAP!!!!

Bungo Pony
March 1st, 2009, 09:06 AM
Never used Brasero. I just use k3b.

Oh, and bravo to the poster who got a linux serial for Nero. All Linux users should do that, and then maybe Nero will start packaging their Linux version with a new burner.

Polygon
March 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
I just read some of the posts that say Nautilus CD Burner is going away... how do we keep it in? The poll shows so far that majority like it. That is a poor choice....

AT LEAST... LET ME HAVE OPTION OF INSTALLING IT ASAP!!!!

im not sure you can, as future gnome releases wont have it and im sure its not going to be maintained anymore.

rajeev1204
March 1st, 2009, 07:47 PM
The Gnome cd dvd creator is really nice ..........at sucking.

Ruined my cd's a couple of times.

mips
March 1st, 2009, 07:49 PM
The only worthwhile cd burning software I have found on linux is K3B irrespective of whether you use gnome, kde, openbox or whatever.

bakedbeans4life
March 1st, 2009, 08:37 PM
The only worthwhile cd burning software I have found on linux is K3B irrespective of whether you use gnome, kde, openbox or whatever.

Funny you should say that, Hardy was the last Ubuntu release that recognised the recording speed presets of all my CD/DVD burners. Since Intrepid I only get a choice of maximum or the highest speed at which the hardware will burn, both of which are coincidentally the same.

K3b, Brasero, Gnomebaker, Graveman, Xcdroast and the aforementioned inbuilt Nautilus software all do this. To this day I have not figured out what changed between Hardy and Intrepid to cause me these problems.

Even the Linux version of Nero does this for heavens sake, it just baffles me. I think I'm missing something.

cmay
March 1st, 2009, 08:41 PM
i use it. i use kb3 otherwise for bigger projects such as burning anything else than a iso or copying stuff. or sometimes i use brazero. depends on which installation i am on.
i do not use kb3 on some of my computers since it drags in a lot of the kde stuff i really do not like that much unless i got lost of space on the hd. then i use some native gnome application.

billgoldberg
March 1st, 2009, 09:02 PM
Are you talking about Brasero?

That one is pretty damn good.

days_of_ruin
March 1st, 2009, 09:50 PM

huh?

i dont mean i replaced it with brasero on my machine....gnome is dropping nautilus-cd-creator or whatever its called and replacing it with brasero.

If you dont like the default setup why not just replace it with brasero?

*facepalm* just never mind.

epic.

a fenderson
March 1st, 2009, 10:36 PM
I've never bothered using Brasero, I've always used the builtin cd creator. Does Brasero do anything that it didn't?

Sand & Mercury
March 1st, 2009, 11:01 PM
I've never tried the inline CD creator.

desconocido
March 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM
(I presume this is about Nautilus?)

I tried to use the CD/DVD creator to make a backup of my home directory. It loses the dates and permissions of my folders (but not my files), so I am a bit stuck.

Anyone know where "burn:///" actually is on the file system? I could then go and use
cp -a

Or is there an option while dragging and dropping?

Polygon
March 5th, 2009, 02:15 PM
to get around that, try tar.gz'ing your home folder, that way it saves the dates/permissions in the tarball and then you just burn that to a disk

mickbuntu
March 5th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Thank you all for taking my poll the results are interesting. Seems the built in products are not always "burried" away by people. In my view however i prefer a full standalone app.

dspari1
March 5th, 2009, 10:22 PM
If you're a gnome purist, Brasero is the best, but k3b is better if you don't mind getting some KDE libraries installed.

desconocido
March 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM
to get around that, try tar.gz'ing your home folder, that way it saves the dates/permissions in the tarball and then you just burn that to a disk

I think that may be the way forward. It answers some of the problems mentioned below.

I tried Brasero...

It tries to filter out hidden files and folders, which is not what I want.
No options to set preferences for filtering. Difficult to reselect filtered out files.
Misleading dialogue suggests it is writing the disk again when it is checking the checksum.

If I try to include all ~/. folders (except:
~/.dbus/session-bus
~/.mozilla-thunderbird/xxx.default/.parentlock
~/.mozilla-firefox/xxx.default/.parentlock
~/.mozilla-sunbird/xxx.default/.parentlock
~/.wine/.update-timestamp
) and write to a .iso file
it quits with

BraseroMd5sumFile asked to stop because of an error
error = 1
message = "the file scd0 couldn't be read (No medium found)"
BraseroMd5sumFile stopping
Session error : the file scd0 couldn't be read (No medium found) (brasero_burn_record burn.c:2270)

Works (probably - see checksum error message below) if I only burn non-hidden folders/files and ~/.mozilla-thunderbird

At first I thought it was not recoding Date Modified, but mounting resulting burnt DVD shows these.
However, owner and group set to root and all w permissions removed.
Any way to restore these if restoring hard disk from DVD?

BraseroReadom stderr: Time total: 524.268sec
BraseroReadom stderr: Read 4112544.00 kB at 7844.4 kB/sec.
BraseroReadom stderr: HUP
BraseroMd5sum called brasero_job_set_progress
BraseroReadom process finished with status 0
BraseroReadom called brasero_job_get_fd_out
BraseroReadom finished track successfully
BraseroReadom got killed
BraseroReadom disconnecting BraseroReadom from BraseroMd5sum
BraseroReadom deactivating
BraseroMd5sum called brasero_job_get_action
BraseroMd5sum called brasero_job_get_current_track
BraseroMd5sum setting new checksum (type = 1) 57a260c43661d6819dacfc7b469159e1 (27199cfa6580415c3024c9d58fb5c189 before)
BraseroMd5sum called brasero_job_error
BraseroMd5sum finished with an error
BraseroMd5sum asked to stop because of an error
error = 22
message = "some files may be corrupted on the disc"
BraseroMd5sum stopping
BraseroMd5sum closing connection for BraseroMd5sum
Session error : some files may be corrupted on the disc (brasero_burn_record burn.c:2270)

Bölvağur
March 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I only use it to burn live cds, as I dont use cds for anything else, other thy my cd collection which I dont see much point in copying.