PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Triple boot (Mac/Ubuntu/Vista) Vista refusing to boot.

Avonin
February 28th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Ok so I have quite a mess on my hands. I'm using a 24" Aluminum iMac. From OS 10.5.6 (Leopard) I used Boot Camp to install Windows Vista Home Premium. A few months later I decided to go back to my beloved Ubuntu so I popped in the Ubuntu 8.10 LiveCD and ran the installer. I told it to install on the Partition that I had installed Windows on and it let me set how much memory I wanted to repartion for Ubuntu to use.

Essentially I turn my iMac on, Darwin asks me to choose Windows or Mac OS X. If I choose Windows then Grub loads up and lets me choose from Ubuntu 8.10 or Windows Vista/Longhorn (Loader). If I select Ubuntu I'm fine. If I select Windows I get the dreaded: "an error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data."

I realize I could probably fix this issue relatively easy via the Vista CD, but I really don't want it to come to that. Can anyone help me get Vista working again with messing up/reinstalling Ubuntu or Vista?

swoll1980
February 28th, 2009, 07:30 AM
From what I've heard sp1 won't boot on a dual boot system because of a patch Microsoft implemented to counter an exploitation that used the grub loader I could be wrong, but I would check into it.

Avonin
February 28th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Well, that would certainly suck. Just when I thought Microsoft had hit rock bottom. :evil:

freak42
February 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM
From what I've heard sp1 won't boot on a dual boot system because of a patch Microsoft implemented to counter an exploitation that used the grub loader I could be wrong, but I would check into it.

you are wrong

I do have a dual boot system with ubuntu 8.10(grub) and vista business w/ sp1, runs just fine here on a hp laptop

Avonin
March 1st, 2009, 01:43 AM
Any ideas anyone?