PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Gazelle vs Pangolin

vgrisham
February 28th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to decide between the Gazelle and the Pangolin.

The Gazelle has an HD video card, right? If so, does it also offer HD output? I didn't see that on the site, but it doesn't make sense to me that it would have on board HD graphics without providing HDMI output.

Thanks.

thomasaaron
March 2nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
The Gazelle does not have an HDMI port.

3Miro
March 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
On the current versions of the laptops, gazelle has integrated Intel video, while pangolin has integrated NVIDIA video. There can be no comparison in video quality, NVIDIA is absolutely better. Video is the main reason why I got pangolin.

eddietours
March 2nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
what type of video would you be trying to run on the gazelle

jmwink
March 4th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I'd like some advice on this as well, mostly with regard to questions about battery life and comfort.

Until a few days ago, when the HD began to issue very frightening noises, I had been using a 4 year old iBook G4 12". It's been a total lemon, and after nearly a decade of linux hobby-fiddling, I've decided to fully take the plunge.

My user needs are very basic: I work in the US University, and use my computer primarily as a way to prepare documents in LaTeX, read and annotate PDFs, spreadsheets for grades, or other data, and general internet/email usage; I'm not an internet-TV viewer, or doing any kind of 3D graphics design, so video-card performance isn't a primary concern for me. What I need a computer to do is fairly simple: be comfortable to use, and have a reasonably long battery life (2+ hours).

For the next (at least) 2 years, this laptop will be my primary computer. The 12" iBook uses a smaller keyboard, which I have found to be a little bit cramped and uncomfortable compared to a regular-sized laptop keyboard. I wondered if the Gazelle had a standard sized, or a compact keyboard, or if any users of both computers could speak about the difference in comfort between the Pangolin and the Gazelle. Since it's my primary computer, and will be carried back and forth between the various offices and "offices" I work in, battery life, and suspend/sleep functions are also concerns. Are there any important differences I should know about between the Gazelle and Pangolin with regard to battery life or suspend/sleep? I lean toward the Pangolin, because it has a bigger display, which I think will be easier on my eyes, but am also attracted by the nice weight of the Gazelle.

It seems System76 puts out a great product, and has a great support community, so I'm sold on the make of the computer, but still wavering with regard to model. It will still be a few months before I make my decision, so any input will be much appreciated.

thomasaaron
March 4th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Here's a pretty thorough review of the Pangolin.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=902894

The Gazelle's keyboard is a bit smaller. It has an LED back-lit screen, though, and does get better battery life: Approx. 2 hrs on the 4-cell and 3.5-4hrs on the 8-cell.

I'll leave further comments to the community.

Guille Damke
March 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I am a Pangolin owner/user and I think it is a great laptop, I would put most of its features in the pros side (e.g. a comfortable keyboard, touchpad and nice display) but, in the cons I have to say that battery life is not great, using wireless I get less than 2 hours, which is the limit you set. (I think system76 has to push on this issue (higher capacity battery)). I carry the Pangolin everyday to my University riding a bicycle, it is not the lightest laptop in the world, but for its size it is in the light side. Other than these, the Pangolin is HIGHLY recommended.
Also suspend/hibernate works great. Just for trying, I have been suspending the laptop some times a day and during night for the last 12 days with no problems.
Wait for more input about both models, but I say System76 is the way to go.
I can tell you that I have only Ubuntu and my experience has been very good so far, I am an Astronomy grad student and do a lot of work in the Pangolin. Also I use it for surfing on the internet and talking to home.
Cheers.

3Miro
March 4th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I have a Pangolin and I have absolutely no problems with suspend/hibernate functions. It comes out of hibernation is about 20 - 30 seconds and uses no battery in the mean time. Suspend is instant,but I have no problems with draining the battery while asleep.

I can do about 1:30 - 2:00 hours on battery if I just do regular work (text editing and simple Internet surfing). Pangolin has Nvidia GPU so it takes a tow on the battery, also I have compiz effects enabled. Without those the battery lifespan would be even higher. In general Linux takes a much lower battery tow than windows and would think that system76's batteries are good ones. I don't expect you would have a problem with that.

betrunkenaffe
March 4th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Based on your description, either would be fine and the breaker would be the battery life. The Gazelle with the 8 cell definitely seems to be the one for you. I wouldn't say the life of Pangolin would match your needs if you will be using 2 hours often.

jmwink
March 4th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the input so far. I still don't really lean one way or the other -- thinking about prices also influences my decision as I'm still a graduate student/educator with a pretty paltry salary.

Thanks again for the input! Every time I browse these forums, I become more certain that System76 is the way to go for future computer purchases.

jjacobs2
March 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
The OP mentioned the HD video card in the gazelle but what intel meant by HD there is that the chip has the ability to accelerate h264 decoding from bluray or video files. Unfortunately Intel has not seen fit to provide software to allow linux to use this h264 decoding so there should be no functional difference in a laptop with 4500 and 4500 HD on linux. I read on the Intel forums that this might change in the future (although they were discussing windows XP mainly which also doesn't support the h264 decoding chip.) Nvidia on the other hand has already provided software for many of their graphics chips, including the one used in the pangolin, to accelerate h264. If you intend to use the computer for high def video the pangolin is definitely the better option. Also, I do not believe that linux can currently output audio through hdmi so you will need to use the 3.5 mm jacks and an adapter even if you go for the Pangolin. HTH

betrunkenaffe
March 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
The OP mentioned the HD video card in the gazelle but what intel meant by HD there is that the chip has the ability to accelerate h264 decoding from bluray or video files. Unfortunately Intel has not seen fit to provide software to allow linux to use this h264 decoding so there should be no functional difference in a laptop with 4500 and 4500 HD on linux. I read on the Intel forums that this might change in the future (although they were discussing windows XP mainly which also doesn't support the h264 decoding chip.) Nvidia on the other hand has already provided software for many of their graphics chips, including the one used in the pangolin, to accelerate h264. If you intend to use the computer for high def video the pangolin is definitely the better option. Also, I do not believe that linux can currently output audio through hdmi so you will need to use the 3.5 mm jacks and an adapter even if you go for the Pangolin. HTH

Pretty sure the audio issue is Ubuntu based..

jjacobs2
March 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_hdmi&num=2
Looks like you're right, I haven't actually tested it. HDMI audio should work for most nvidia and Intel cards but maybe not for ATI yet.