PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot Access Hard Drive Documents

Max Avion
February 27th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Hi,

I am a complete newbie to Ubuntu, have just installed it today and really like it but am having a little problem. I have installed it with windows on my local hard drive so i get an option which OS i would like when booting up.

Since this is installed on my C:\ drive I am not sure why i cannot access any of my documents.

Can any one help me with this?

Would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Max

InspiredIndividual
February 28th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Could you elaborate a bit? Are you trying to access documents you saved in Windows while booting Ubuntu, or the other way round? How have you tried to access the documents, and how did this fail?

shankru85
February 28th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I guess you have installed using Wubi. But could you please elobarate on what is the exact issue that you are facing ? Are you able to see the Drive first ? If yes, what does it say when you try to open a document ?

keithld
February 28th, 2009, 03:33 AM
If you are trying to access Windows documents while in Ubuntu like Word for Windows and you want to use Open Office to do so, when you go to File > Open, you have choose "File System" then click on the folder "Host" because that is the Windows File system... Then you have to manuver through those folders to where you have your Windows Documents, Jpegs, & Mp3's stored...

The best way to learn is just look around Ubuntu and play with things, but do Not Changes Settings and things unless your sure of what it will do and you can Undo It..

Another way to find your Windows files is to go to Places > Computer (or what ever is similar to Computer) and click on File System and look for "Host"...

Max Avion
March 2nd, 2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the answers. I was just not used to the environment, I found the files from my local disk under /host.

Thanks,
Max