PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Formatting a Flash Drive

adobrakic
February 26th, 2009, 02:20 AM
My flash drive recently got insanely messed up, and all of my things were deleted on it, which happened at an immensely inconvenient time because the stories for my newspaper were due the same day it happened.

Anyway, my flash drive still shows the same amount of space used on it, and I just wanna format it completely, and put everything back on there again.

Asking for anything that would easily format my flash drive effectively and completely.

Also, I know this isn't the forum for it, but does anyone know of any portable 'safely remove' applications for flash drives? The reason my things were deleted was due to the fact that my school's computers do not all systray icons to be shown, therefore I can't safely remove my flash drive. And I do not want this to happen again.

Thank you

theozzlives
February 26th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Just use Gparted to format it FAT32
as far as removing, it should have the icon but you can see if you right click on it and see if you have eject

adobrakic
February 26th, 2009, 02:38 AM
as far as removing, it should have the icon but you can see if you right click on it and see if you have eject

Nah, I'm not needing the program for Linux. I need it for the Windows-based computers at school.

mkvnmtr
February 26th, 2009, 02:55 AM
You can download the live disk Gparted or one or two others and burn them to a disk and put them into almost any windows computer and boot from the disk and use it to format your drive. I have no idea if windows has programs that format drives. Any Ubuntu live disk will do it also but it is a much bigger download,

anjilslaire
February 26th, 2009, 03:07 AM
From Windows, right-click the drive in My Computer, and select Format.
Choose Fat32, quick format
done

And I believe even in Window, you can right-click a drive and select "eject" or similar...

adobrakic
February 26th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Thanks a lot guys, I've formatted it.
:D