PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] asus T91 and tablet software

klikklak
February 25th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Hi all,

I'm pretty stoked about the just announced Asus T91 tablet/laptop. I'm primarily interested in it as a reading device and for connectivity during bus rides. So my question is this:

Supposing I go ahead and buy it AND pay the damn windows tax, what status is tablet software on ubuntu (don't mind if its source only, I can deal with that)? What I presume it should have is virtual keyboard and well, maybe the netbook remix launcher. I don't know if that'd be enough for usable functionality as a tablet. My primary use would be reading comics and books in tablet mode. One mouse button (tap) and no keyboard sounds like it wouldn't be very good for that though.

Favux
February 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hi klikklak,

Looks interesting. Depends on the touch tablet manufacturer. Usually Evtouch supports touch tablets.

CellWriter gives you a virtual keyboard that can switch to character recognition mode so it's great.

Xournal (and others) for note taking.

EasyStroke for gesture recognition.

Gimp or Inkscape for graphics.

Does it come with a linux pre-installed option? If so is it an Ubuntu?

klikklak
February 25th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Good, there already seems to be software for this type of use. That's excellent, especially if easystroke can be configured to send key presses, then reading should be a breeze.

As far as I've read there isn't a linux option, just xp and vista. And they're selling it on the software features that they've made for it. Not that that would do me any good. It's a shame really that there's no linux option and if I decide to get one, it'll be my first time that I'm paying the windows tax.

Hopefully free software will support it, if not right away, then in the near future.

Favux
February 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Hi klikklak,

EasyStroke can send key presses. Tom Jaeger has a beta available of the new version which should be out shortly.

There's the new netbook version of Ubuntu you know. I think it's available for download.

klikklak
February 25th, 2009, 05:36 PM
"Asus has stated that a Linux version is possible, but has not said definitively whether it will offer a Linux version."

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure: /2009/01/07/asus-t91-convertible-touch-netbook-exposed/

Sweet! Here's to hoping that I'll be able to avoid buying non-free!

Favux: I noticed that easystroke is already in jaunty, I'll install it and fiddle around. And I didn't know that there was a new netbook remix out, it doesn't matter much anyway, sinec I've moved my eee to server duties.

chongkwan
August 8th, 2009, 12:40 AM
What graphics chipset does it have ? If it's GMA500 it might be a real pain to get decent 3D and flash working, perhaps no compiz at all. See the Dell Mini 12 video discussions. With Mini 12's you are basically stuck with Dell's version of Ubuntu 8.04 with precompiled Poulsbo drivers. Furthermore it has GMA500 combined with Atom Z520 and Jmicron disc controller - the overall performance is pretty sluggish even in Linux. The Asus T91 might have the same problem. And a joke for the end - first versions of Dell Mini 12 were sold only with Vista :-).

mtn
August 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I'm thinking about getting a touch screen netbook/tablet - did you get a T91? If so, how have you got on with putting Linux on it? and getting the touch screen working? WOuld be very interested to hear... :)

Kapitän Rotbart
November 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Has anyone successfully used EasyStroke on the t91? I tried, but it wouldn't recognize my "strokes"! Anyone know how to resolve this?

thomi_ch
February 26th, 2010, 05:56 PM
hi all

not the last and best solution but.. it's one :)

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20091214162901203&board_id=20&model=Eee%20PC%20T91MT&page=1&count=14

I'm in contact with ENAC: http://lii-enac.fr/en/projects/shareit/linux-howto.html... they have drivers but... hard to install them..

thomi