February 25th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Yup...:popcorn:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=128939

Release Highlights:

* Added support for the following GPUs:
o GeForce GT 120
o GeForce G100
o Quadro FX 3700M
* Fixed a bug that caused Maya to freeze when overlays are enabled.
* Fixed an interaction problem with some applications that use memory tracking libraries.
* Added support for RG renderbuffers in OpenGL 3.0.
* Added support for OpenGL 3.0 floating-point depth buffers.
* Fixed a problem that caused Valgrind to crash when tracing a program that uses OpenGL.
* VDPAU updates:
o VDPAU now supports VC-1/WMV acceleration on all GPUs supported by VDPAU; see the README for details.
o Expand the documentation of VDPAU's VdpVideoMixer, in particular regarding how to use the deinterlacing algorithms. Explicitly document "half rate" deinterlacing, which should allow the advanced algorithms to run on more low-end systems. See vdpau.h.
o Implement a "skip chroma deinterlace" option in VDPAU, which should allow the advanced deinterlacing algorithms to run on more low-end systems. See vdpau.h.
o Enhance VDPAU to correctly handle some forms of corrupt/invalid MPEG streams on some GPUs.
o Fix VDPAU to prevent some cases of "display preemption" in the face of missing H.264 reference frames on some GPUs.
o Fix VDPAU to correctly handle VC-1 skipped pictures with missing start codes on some GPUs.
o Fix VDPAU to correctly handle WMV "range reduction" on some GPUs. A minor backwards-compatible API change was made for this; see vdpau.h's documentation for structure field VdpPictureInfoVC1.rangered.
o Fix VDPAU wrapper library to print dlerror() messages when problems occur, which will simplify debugging of driver loading issues.

Testing....):P

Nullack
February 25th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Package bug request is here, someone please confirm it:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bug/334205

plun
February 25th, 2009, 08:45 AM

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bug/334205

Ok, done

dkms and Ubuntus driver removed for a short test, works !

taavikko
February 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Does it need to go through FFe since it is just an update to current version (180.) and not an major version change..?

But anyway, thanks :)
Want to get all the juice out of my 9800gtx+

mgsfan
February 25th, 2009, 08:53 AM
just installed rebooted and won't load up for me..gives me the low graphics setup..

plun
February 25th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Just a remark....

I lost my sound outputs after reboot.

Testing with alsa 1.0.19 if it comes back...;)

@mgsfan

dkms must be removed and nvidia-glx-180 (dependency if dkms is removed)

Nullack
February 25th, 2009, 09:11 AM
just installed rebooted and won't load up for me..gives me the low graphics setup..

Youve probably got cruft left over from your previous setting up conflicting with it....look around the README and ubuntu wiki on debugging tips.

plun
February 25th, 2009, 09:38 AM
@Nullack

It might be breakage risk for the moment.

2.6.28 gives me a busybox and RC6 boots without sound.

HAL was also updated today, it might be a "brown bag" hidden somewhere..):P

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2009-February/thread.html

Nullack
February 25th, 2009, 09:45 AM
RC6 isnt in the Ubuntu build :)

Yeah 2.6.28 needs diagnosis to identify the cause.

Keep in mind this is a stable release from NVIDIA, not beta.

plun
February 25th, 2009, 09:53 AM
RC6 isnt in the Ubuntu build :)

Yeah 2.6.28 needs diagnosis to identify the cause.

Keep in mind this is a stable release from NVIDIA, not beta.

Yup...

udev seems to be broken and the system cannot mount the root file system.
(works with RC6)

This has nothing todo with the nvidia driver. (as I sees it)

It might be the Hal update, also a new kernel coming.

The consequense "smells" a chroot if someone updates and reboots... :rolleyes:

RaZoR1394
February 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM
My screensaver is acting up since this update. Either it gets stuck (keeps running but no input gets you back to the desktop) or it doesn't launch at all.

mgsfan
February 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM
hmm it won't let me install the new drivers without removing xorg

caryb
February 25th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I installed it last night on my 64 bit system & it borks as soon as it goes to startx! I checked the log & it says it cant find any screens. I just reloaded 180.29 & all is good.

Cary

eyelessfade
February 26th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I installed it last night on my 64 bit system & it borks as soon as it goes to startx! I checked the log & it says it cant find any screens. I just reloaded 180.29 & all is good.
Cary

Think I will wait a bit to try it out then. :)

Nullack
February 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I suspect those with x failing to start are not properly removing parts of the old driver before installing the new.

KhaaL
February 26th, 2009, 01:35 AM
is there a PPA with this driver? just want to play safe :)

@Nullack, which parts are those that needs to be removed from the old driver...? also if you install this driver once, do you have to reinstall it for every other kernel?

RaZoR1394
February 26th, 2009, 01:46 AM
is there a PPA with this driver? just want to play safe :)

@Nullack, which parts are those that needs to be removed from the old driver...? also if you install this driver once, do you have to reinstall it for every other kernel?

I thought no proprietary drivers were allowed on ppa's :/.

cor2y
February 26th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Yes will media playback for vdpau and 3d effects work.
Its borking my screensaver and its the basic gnome-screensaver i have installed on 8.10 and 9.04 not xscreensaver once it goes into screensaver mode i can't get back to the desktop without restarting X.

According to the official nvidia forums
It appears that 180.35 breaks signals with the xorg-server 1.5.2 and possibly other versions.
People who seem not to have this problem are using a release candidate of xorg (1.6)

Maybe in a few days they will issue a fix.
If you can't stand to be without your screensaver etc go back to 180.29

Nullack
February 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM
On my Ubuntu jaunty build, I have no screensaver problem.

@Khaal - remove:

* VDPAU dev package (if installed)
* Previous Nvidia GLX driver
* Previous NVIDIA kernel header
* Ensure build-essential and kernel header packages are installed
* temporarily switch xorg.conf to NV, stop GDM, run the install shell script as root building the module. I dont run 32bit compatability on my AMD64 build for OpenGL.Make sure the dmesg module load works.
* Edit back the conf to enable nvidia
* Manually start GDM again

The commands for GDM are:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop/start

Nullack
February 26th, 2009, 05:59 AM
It appears that 180.35 breaks signals with the xorg-server 1.5.2 and possibly other versions.

Jaunty has RC2 1.6, and I cannot replicate these reports.

Nirro
February 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM
hmm it won't let me install the new drivers without removing xorg

I have the same problem.

I'm trying to install from avenard repository :

deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos/ release/

apt-get install nvidia-glx-180 wants to remove xserver-xorg packages.

KhaaL
February 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks Nullack, but i have the same problem as Nirro and mgsfan... is it because of bad packaging on that repo? I'm going for .29 in the meanwhile.

mgsfan
February 27th, 2009, 01:46 PM
aye thats the same repo I got it from since its also the one that I get mplayer.. I thought maybe it was from anders repo at first but he has'nt updated the drivers yet

philinux
February 27th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Not being a vdpau expert, what does this new driver + xorg mean for my pc. Spec below in sig.

Is it better dvd playback or something else?

cl333r
February 27th, 2009, 02:44 PM
It should upload the CPU load to the GPU, but I tested some of my h.264 movies and I can't spot any such change.

Nullack
February 27th, 2009, 02:49 PM
cl333r you have a config error then in your test design.

It makes a massive difference. My low end test system with an AMD64 sempron chip and only an 8600gt can decode 1920x1080P level 4.2 high profile AVC footage, same with mpeg1/2. The cpu just idles as apposed to the sw decoder which peggs the cpu at 100% with massive frame drops.

Currently vdpau on vc-1 and wmv3 is broken in svn mplayer.

Technoviking
February 27th, 2009, 09:40 PM
In the repos now.

eyelessfade
February 27th, 2009, 09:43 PM
It should upload the CPU load to the GPU, but I tested some of my h.264 movies and I can't spot any such change.

It depends on your GPU. Mine a 8800gts don't support to much of vdpau capability.

eyelessfade
February 27th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Actually my card isn't supported at all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU

Nullack
February 28th, 2009, 06:29 AM
It depends on your GPU. Mine a 8800gts don't support to much of vdpau capability.

Incorrect. All second gen purevideo hardware now accelerates:

VC-1
WMV3
Mpeg 1
Mpeg 2
AVC

autocrosser
February 28th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I did the update & it's running smooth---with one problem. Gnome-screen-saver became unresponsive after the update & would not release the desktop once in screensave--I tried a few things & ended up changing back to Xscreensaver--I've never liked Gnome-saver anyway, but has anyone seen this?

kurros
February 28th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Incorrect. All second gen purevideo hardware now accelerates:

VC-1
WMV3
Mpeg 1
Mpeg 2
AVC

Right, but the 8800 GTS eyelessfade mentioned is not PureVideo 2 capable.

Nullack
February 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Right, but the 8800 GTS eyelessfade mentioned is not PureVideo 2 capable.

Yes, sorry. These marketing names NVIDIA uses generates confusion. The 8800 GTS uses the old G80 chip, but some later 8800 GTS's uses the newer G92 chip. For pci express cards you need either the G84, G86, G92, G94, G96, G98 or GT200 type chips.

IanW
February 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Nullack is correct.

The marketing name for the 8800's that don't accelerate (the G80 chip) is "8800GTS 320Mb" or "8800GTS 640Mb". ie. the first cards to use that name.
The marketing name for the G92-based cards was "8800GTS 512Mb".
The G92 chip also appears in the later 9800GT, and is rumored to be used in the forthcoming GTX250.

caryb
February 28th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Just upgraded & copped it, now after 15 mins I loose mouse & keyboard. I have to hard shutdown to rectify.

Cary

JohnJackson
February 28th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I did the update & it's running smooth---with one problem. Gnome-screen-saver became unresponsive after the update & would not release the desktop once in screensave--I tried a few things & ended up changing back to Xscreensaver--I've never liked Gnome-saver anyway, but has anyone seen this?

I have that problem with 180.29, I dare say it isn't just NVIDIA users who have the problem

autocrosser
February 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I have that problem with 180.29, I dare say it isn't just NVIDIA users who have the problem

Hmmm--did you file a bug report?