PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 LTS SCSI disk power management

tommasz
February 24th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I'm seeing a strange problem since I updated to 8.04 LTS that I never saw before. I have a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC server with a SCSI disk system. Although it's used primarily as an Apache and SAMBA server I do have X11/Gnome installed so I can use NX to administer from my desktop.

Every now and then it drops offline (pings still work, however) and when I go to the console I can't log in. At that point X usually crashes and I can see system messages indicating an I/O error with sd. I can never get a command prompt and have to hit the reset button. Once it comes back up there are no errors in any of the logs and it looks to me as if the disk is being spun down when there are long idle periods and not coming back up. Once rebooted it runs fine for weeks at a time.

Is there something I should be setting/unsetting or loading/unloading to deal with this? I realize having it configured more like a desktop is probably not ideal but it makes things a lot more handy for me. Still, I'm willing to do what it takes to prevent this issue from happening again.