PDA

View Full Version : Dear Ubiquity

Stochastic
February 24th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Dear Ubiquity,

I hate you. You're not able to graphically place my city within its timezone, making me doubt my timezone selection multiple times. You can't seem to recognize that I have both UbuntuStudio8.10 and 64StudioEdgy installed on other partitions, and despite this, you still give me a cryptic option of 'install beside others and let you choose at boot'. You don't allow me to select where to mount my other partitions (unless I use your pre-defined /tmp /var etc.. choices). You don't allow me to create an extended partition. You seem to think it's funny to let me sit here watching the little spinning icon as I wait and wait and wait and wait and wait... (you get the picture) to see if my partition choices are acceptable for your installation needs. You warn me that if I don't format the partition for my root directory then I'll break any /var /tmp etc... links to other installs, which only makes me worry even more as I sit staring at the spinning circle, wondering if it's going to be 10seconds or 10hours before you get back to me. I don't want you to touch anything other than the partition I've already built for you - please stop making me wait at the partition screen. For all I know you're climbing into my other partitions and ruining my precious studio setup. That's it! I've had enough waiting! Either tell me what you're doing, or go to hell.

Sincerely,
Stochastic

P.S. I'll open you up later and gouge your code out for this; that is, after I go get the more user-friendly alternate install CD.

cariboo907
February 24th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I have to say the new time zone picker is pretty ugly, I just use the dropdown to find Vancouver.

Jim

Naddiseo
February 24th, 2009, 07:07 AM
you still give me a cryptic option of 'install beside others and let you choose at boot'. You don't allow me to select where to mount my other partitions (unless I use your pre-defined /tmp /var etc.. choices).

Have they taken out the typing in the box? That's what I always did, typed it in.

Nullack
February 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Ubuntu Bugs and Ubuntu Brainstorm are your friends for improving Ubiquity

3rdalbum
February 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Ubiquity has gotten a lot better over the years, but I think expert multi-booters are low on Ubiquity's priorities, and that's why the alternate CD installer is still available.

Stochastic
February 24th, 2009, 07:45 AM
It really would be nice to have the alternate booting capabilities within the same CD (if that's feasible) - probably via the F4 menu at startup. It's nice to not be forced to download & burn two copies for every release (I always grab a copy of the Live CD).

Mr. Picklesworth
February 24th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Timezome selection has always been ugly, in the Clock applet as well. It seems that nobody involved in the GNOME desktop is able to figure this one out. Maybe I should in my recent spurt of patching random things :/

(Speaking of which, it would be nice if the user only ever had to set information like timezone / home city and email address once, in One Place, and had that data automatically filled in on all the default applications. Perhaps it would be a nice target for Koala).

olskar
February 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I have to say the new time zone picker is pretty ugly, I just use the dropdown to find Vancouver.

Jim

I agree, wasn't able to find Stockholm without the dropdown. It's terrible. But I'm happy as long as the dropdown is there

Sockerdrickan
February 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM
The new timezone picker is better in my opinion.

BUT THE INSTALLER CRASHES GOD DAMMIT

Stochastic
February 24th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I certainly think that timezones are a beter GUI than the city picker that was there before, but it is ugly, and seems to have many issues still.

markbuntu
February 24th, 2009, 09:33 PM
ubiquity does not like me either. Why has the no-migration-assistant option been removed?
The only way I could get a successful live cd install was to F4 safe graphics mode and then run live, open a terminal and

ubuquity --no-migration-assistant

Time zones worked for me though.lol.

cszikszoy
February 24th, 2009, 10:52 PM
ubiquity does not like me either. Why has the no-migration-assistant option been removed?
The only way I could get a successful live cd install was to F4 safe graphics mode and then run live, open a terminal and

ubuquity --no-migration-assistant

Time zones worked for me though.lol.

The new timezone picker is better in my opinion.

BUT THE INSTALLER CRASHES GOD DAMMIT

I've had problems with both installation CDs actually (livecd and alternate) Timezone works fine, manually partitioning is still not as friendly as it could be, but my computer completely locks up at about 83-85% and gets lost somewhere in the twilight zone. I really wish I could install one of the Jaunty alphas!

markbuntu
February 24th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I've had problems with both installation CDs actually (livecd and alternate) Timezone works fine, manually partitioning is still not as friendly as it could be, but my computer completely locks up at about 83-85% and gets lost somewhere in the twilight zone. I really wish I could install one of the Jaunty alphas!

Well that was the problem I had and my previous post was how I solved it.