PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My System76 Story

steveneddy
February 23rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
I bought a System76 laptop two years ago. A Serp1 if memory serves. Order goes in on a Friday, get the product on Wednesday or Thursday. Lappie runs great, as well today as it did two years ago out of the box.

Fast forward to about a month ago. Went to the Dell website to order an Ubuntu laptop just to see how they are compared to the System76 lappie. Waited, waited and waited. They put off the ship date over a month so finally I canceled the order with Dell and immediately went to the System76 website.

Ordered laptop from System76 on Friday. Called them today (Monday) and they said it will ship Tues. or Wed. How's that for service?

I won't go anywhere else for laptops anymore. System76 has my business from now on.

I sent an e-mail to Michael Dell telling him my story.

Thank you system76 for being there for us in the Ubuntu world. Thanks for letting me help my daughter in college get some more work done. Thanks to Thomas Aaron for taking my phone call and letting me know in less than five minutes the status of my new laptop. Thank you for not having an automated answering system that one has to navigate through just to get a live person.

System76 rocks!

linuxlibrarian
February 24th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I've almost had this Pangolin Performance for a full month... and even though the circumstances I had to get a laptop under were less than great (health reasons... sadly no longer able to work for any length of time at my desktop because of a health decline... but any other reason to get a new computer is a good one)... I absolutely LOVE this beastie.

I was using my poor ASUS EeePC 701 (yes, the 7 inch screen deal) to work from bed, and I was so opposed to getting a full sized laptop. The last three desktops I've owned I've built myself, and I wasn't thrilled about getting a laptop because... well... had one many years ago that didn't quite take the (gentle) handling it was subjected to well... and I wasn't sure what I'd end up paying and getting spec wise if I were to opt for a laptop with Linux pre-installed (didn't have the energy or time at this point to do my own installation). I haven't used Windows much in several years, and I really didn't want a laptop with Vista (because I know me well enough to know I'd have just removed it).

Someone on identi.ca pointed me here, and I did a little digging, and I've got to say I'm impressed with the laptop itself, and the timeliness/responsiveness of the S76 crew.

The machine itself is truly gorgeous -- in looks and performance. I wasn't too hopeful on battery life at all... but really, it's not that bad. I get about two hours, and while I'm not doing anything horribly intensive, I've not turned off any extraneous services or bells and whistles, either. The LCD display is fantastic, the keyboard is responsive (I did fine with the size of the Eee keyboard, I have little womanly hands, but I seriously needed to hammer those keys to get a response), the trackpad is the best I've ever used on a laptop, and my mobile broadband USB modem works great (hooray for Network Manager and Intrepid's focus on 3G). Love it, though, fast, and -- better yet -- hatches in the bottom should I need to upgrade or replace things (far far) down the line.

There was a slight delay (or so was thought) in production, and I asked if I could upgrade my shipping... Thomas said because of the backordered bits, they'd upgrade free of charge for me (thanks!). I was a little bummed, because I was starting to look forward to the new baby, and because working on the Eee was getting uncomfortable... but whatever they were waiting for in production showed up before it was expected, and with the upgraded shipping, I got the laptop within a week.

It was packed nicely, securely, and the whole arrangement's been great... I've never owned a Dell, but having had to wrangle with their tech support at work in a past life -- well, their tech support THEN wasn't what it used to be. Happy with this decision down to the very last detail, and would recommend S76 to anyone. Nicer to deal with a smaller outfit than a big manufacturer, and this little laptop is first rate. :)

eddietours
February 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM
l also pickup a gazelle ultra l love this laptop the build feels right also the keyboard so far the only issues l had was with the battery , the Display is awesome if l buy another computer it would be from system76:guitar:

betrunkenaffe
February 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
There was a slight delay (or so was thought) in production, and I asked if I could upgrade my shipping... Thomas said because of the backordered bits, they'd upgrade free of charge for me (thanks!). I was a little bummed, because I was starting to look forward to the new baby, and because working on the Eee was getting uncomfortable... but whatever they were waiting for in production showed up before it was expected, and with the upgraded shipping, I got the laptop within a week.

Sounds like you got yours around the same time as mine, I was told it was the screens.