PDA

View Full Version : [kde] KDE 4.1 Missing Apps

snorkytheweasel
February 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
I installed Intrepid Server - x86-64. My first action was to install KDE (4.1).

I have used desktop since 6.x, server since 7.x, so I think I have a good idea of what should be available. I am surprised at all of the functionality that isn't immediately available. I can't tell if KDE is the problem, or if Intrepid is the source of this bizarre behavior. I'm asking these dumb questions because

the help system sucks (look up 'terminal' or 'shell' and then find instructions on how to launch a terminal window ... or shell )
the set of applications available is bizarre - very little of what is available is useful (widgets for network admin??), and very little of what is available is useful for server/network admin ... there isn't a file system browser or web browser)

Anti-flame war disclosure:

I'm not interested in a quarrel over whether or not I should be using a GUI with server. However, I am open to Gnome vs KDE for this environment.
If the answers were obvious (to me) I wouldn't be asking.

Dumb Question #1: How do I open a Terminal Window?

I should be able to open a terminal from the desktop. From there I can install the many other missing programs (or install a front-end for apt) and manage the system.

Note: this is cross-posted in the x86-64 forum

SuperSonic4
February 23rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
You'd need to install konsole or use one of the tty

sudo apt-get install konsole

snorkytheweasel
February 23rd, 2009, 11:33 PM
You'd need to install konsole or use one of the tty

sudo apt-get install konsole

The problem is that the machine boots to a KDE logon screen. My installation of KDE has no way (that I can find) to be able to execute that command.

snorkytheweasel
February 25th, 2009, 05:20 AM
The correct answer is

CTRL + ALT + F1

Now I can use apt-get to install putty (my preferred console) and synaptic.

Everything else will flow from those two installations.