PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Configuring separate desktop environments

tarahmarie
February 23rd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Hi, all:

So, KDE 4.2 is looking snazzy as hell.

I still can't figure out how to set different wallpapers, icons, widgets, and settings for each "face" of my cube, however. I've tried using compiz and the main settings manager, but I WAS PROMISED DIFFERENT WALLPAPERS, dang it, and I want them. Any ideas?

Thanks!

andrewa1
February 23rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
i found this, try it and see

http://anuragbansal.wordpress.com/2008/05/10/how-to-get-different-wallpapers-on-each-workspace-in-ubuntu/

tarahmarie
February 23rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
i found this, try it and see

http://anuragbansal.wordpress.com/2008/05/10/how-to-get-different-wallpapers-on-each-workspace-in-ubuntu/

Thanks for the response; unfortunately, that's for GNOME, not KDE.

tarahmarie
February 27th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Does anyone know if the stuff I want is related to Plasma settings? Compiz settings? This new thing called "activities" and virtual desktops? I don't really know where to start here.

tarahmarie
March 1st, 2009, 03:22 AM
bump

huck416
March 14th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I'm having the same issue. Really liked being able to set different wallpapers for each desktop in kde 3.x. It can be done in kde 4.x but only in the "activities" pages. Right click the desktop, add widget and select "activity bar". It puts up a little bar with 'Desktop' named 20 times. Not sure why anyone would want 20 different activities but I haven't found yet how to reduce that to a more manageable number. But when you select a different activity from the bar, you can then right-click on the desktop and select 'Appearance Settings.' Here you can change the wallpaper and the name of that Activity. The new name will then show in the Activity bar on your desktop.

I can't get the shortcuts to work however. I think they are supposed to give a method of switching between different Activities but it doesn't work.

Big difference between Activities and Desktops is all windows are on all Activities but not on all desktops.

Hope this makes sense.