PDA

View Full Version : Two tweaks: RNDIS timeout and Intel GMA965 graphics

kaykay
February 23rd, 2009, 12:38 AM
Hi, All,

I thought I'd share two tweaks that took me a bit of time to really nail down, to the degree that a simple search isn't going to lead most people to a solution.

The first is poor graphics performance on my laptop with an Intel GMA graphics controller. Some posts say to install xorg-edgers packages, some say that it's a driver problem.. what fixed it for me was what's contained in page 3 of this post. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1023419&highlight=intel+graphics&page=3) Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add: Option "AccelMethod" "UXA"

Things are much snappier now. A reboot is usually a good idea, to get everything back on the right page.

The other problem is one I've had to hand-install for years, and Intrepid was the first to fix it out-of-the-box. When using a windows mobile device with internet sharing (RNDIS for the tech world), one has to edit the PPP options file to stop pppd from dropping the connection every 10-30 seconds. Intrepid fixed it, and Jaunty broke it again. Open /etc/ppp/options and comment out (with a # mark) the lines starting with "lcp-echo-interval" and "lcp-echo-failure". That should fix it, though you may need to reboot. This is still hands-down better than what I used to have to do, messing about with kinternet and building modem connections and so on.

I hope I've saved somebody out there some time..!

Best,
K.

Triggerhapp
February 23rd, 2009, 01:44 AM
On note of the first, I know why it isnt enabled by default yet ;) its causing alot of instability for certain chipsets.

Hope it all stabalises well, personally :)

Mindless Automata
February 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
UXA seems to cause my laptop to completely freeze. Could be another problem, but it hasn't happened since I disabled it.

kaykay
February 24th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I do notice some graphical glitches, with UXA enabled, though no crashes on my end.. So user beware! Heed these good persons' warnings :)