PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ultracapacitors instead of batteries

jkenn337
February 22nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
hi,

I recently learned about a new technology that will probably replace batteries soon. it's called an ultracapacitor. I would like to see ultracapacitors in netbooks and desktops and laptops that run ubuntu because you get instant recharge as opposed to waiting for a battery to recharge over a few hours. also you get 20 maybe 30 or more hours of use from an ultracapacitor as opposed to a battery.

thanks,

Josh

jkenn337
February 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Hi,

I would like to see ubuntu netbooks use ultracapacitors to power them instead of batteries. ultracapacitors can be charged nearly instantaniously. they also have a much much longer useage time maybe 30 or more hours.
You can google ultracapacitor and find out more about them.
Josh

Kellemora
February 23rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hi JK

Wow, I thought that technology died 30 years ago!

When my kids were little, 1960's and 70's,
I used electrolytic capacitors in ALL of their toys and made one quick charge battery pack for them.
Batteries were CHEAP back then and it still saved me a bundle of dough!

They came out in some things for awhile, but then the technology faded away. I assume because the battery companies would go out and BUY UP all the patents, hi hi.......

But recently, they came out with those shake or crank flashlights and radios that use capacitors to hold the charge, but the designs are very poor and the capacitors way to small for the task at hand.

It's GREAT to see it's coming ALIVE Again!

TTUL
Gary