PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Linux Mint any good?

mmitt
February 22nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Hi all. I have a tablet PC, and just switched FROM Ubuntu Intrepid TO Windows 7. I'm not liking it too well though. I want to switch back to a gnome linux interface, but I'm kind of put off by ubuntu. I finally found a way to get my tablet PC working with ubuntu, but if I switch to Mint, will the process still be the same? And does anyone here like Mint? It looks pretty good to me.

Thanks guys!

Sealbhach
February 22nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Mint is based on Ubuntu. What is it about Ubuntu that puts you off? Maybe there is some other distro you might find more to your liking. Mint is good though, it's highly praised.

mmitt
February 22nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Mint is based on Ubuntu. What is it about Ubuntu that puts you off? Maybe there is some other distro you might find more to your liking. Mint is good though, it's highly praised.

Ah ok. Thanks. The thing that put me off about Ubuntu was that I couldn't use any ".exe" files, even with Wine. But if I had better media capabilities, I wouldn't have to mess any with Wine. And Mint has a cool start menu thing, it would be helpful...

hansdown
February 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Hi mmitt.

Mint is less work to set up, because everthing is installed, but if you dual boot, you can still run the programs you need in windows.

Here is a good guide.

http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbooting_guide_linux_vista_and_x p_stepbystep.htm

mmitt
February 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah I've tried that before. The built in Vista partitioner is horrible, it won't let me shrink past about 30GB. I don't have an install disk for Vista either, we bought our laptops through our schools... So do you use Mint? If you do, are there any downsides?

soxs
February 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
I've running it in a VM, and it's pretty and pretty smooth.

mmitt
February 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
I've running it in a VM, and it's pretty and pretty smooth.
Cool. I'm gonna do it! How big is the image?

soxs
February 22nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
the x64 image is sized 680.2 MB

WatchingThePain
February 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Hi,
I used to use Mint and yes it is good.
I think it might be smaller than Ubuntu and it runs smoothly.
Like people said earlier Mint is related to Ubuntu.

mkvnmtr
February 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
I use Mint on one laptop. I like it and it seems faster than Ubuntu. Probably is not just seems that way.

WatchingThePain
February 22nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Yes I can imagine Mint would be nice on a laptop.