PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How Do I Start Programming in Python?

Martin Marshalek
February 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
I posted a thread to help me choose the programming language for a simple game I want to make for a project in a month. Thanks to those who posted, I learned that Python with the Pygame libraries would be the easiest and best for my needs. However, now I'm confused, how to I write my code? Do I need a special program or can I use Gedit for this?

Also, when I go to download programs, I find downloadable source codes that can be compiled with a simple command for your native OS (Widows or Linux). How do I code my game so I end up with a source code so I can code it for Linux and test it in Linux, but use it a school under Windows? Is that possible (without wine since I dual boot)?

karlr42
February 22nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Python is an interpreted language. so assuming it's installed on the Windows machine, just take the source code(which, yes, you write in any editor you like, it's just text afterall), then run it with that machine's Python installation.

Armor Nick
February 22nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
check pygame.org and python.org for tutorials. They're pretty good. You can program with any text editor, but to make it easier, try to find a formatting option and set it to python.

there's a program called py2exe which bundles all your files and the python runtime into an executable file which you can use under windows. Under linux, python is installed by default.

Martin Marshalek
February 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
So I need to have a Python interpreter installed in Windows?

Edit:I saw your post Nick, thanks for the py2exe. I have to use this on the school computers so I won't be able to install many programs to get just one game to work. Also, how do I enable the pygame libraries?

freak42
February 22nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
there are excellent documentations and tutorials for python:
http://python.org/doc/

python is an interpreted language (not compiled) with working interpreters on a multitude of os's. So basically your python code should work on any python-supported os. (Testing is key!)

hth

Martin Marshalek
February 22nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
I just found that Python is already in version 3 but Ubuntu has only 2.5 installed, how do I update?

karlr42
February 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
You'll prob have to use py2exe then, if you can't install a python intepreter AND there's not one already installed.

linux_tech
February 22nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
Try writing a few simple scripts to get used to python

Barriehie
February 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
I use DrPython, mostly, for my editor. Sometimes Gedit. DrPython is in the repos'.

Barrie

MrWES
February 22nd, 2009, 04:39 PM
You can set the highlight mode on Gedit to Python.

Bill

snova
February 22nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
I just found that Python is already in version 3 but Ubuntu has only 2.5 installed, how do I update?

You don't, at least, not exactly. Py3K is incompatible with the 2.x series, so you cannot replace one with the other. You can, however, install them side-by-side. Simply install the python3 package.

'python' will continue to invoke the 2.5 interpreter, and this should not be changed (it could potentially break something in your system). Run the 3.0 interpreter with 'python3'.

raydeen
February 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Python 2.x is still pretty much the standard. I wouldn't worry too much about 3 just yet. I did read somewhere that there will be some sort of program that will auto-translate the old 2.x code to 3 when the time comes to upgrade it.

snova
February 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Python 2.x is still pretty much the standard. I wouldn't worry too much about 3 just yet.

True. And you'd probably be better off using 2.x for now, as a lot of libraries have not been ported yet (few, if any). I, for one, would like PyQt4 and Twisted!

I did read somewhere that there will be some sort of program that will auto-translate the old 2.x code to 3 when the time comes to upgrade it.

There is (2to3), and it seems to work quite well, but I don't think it should be relied on.

raydeen
February 22nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
For the OP, I'm beginning to learn Python myself. Depending on how experienced you are with programming in general, I'd like to recommend the following e-books: (they're pretty basic stuff but I'm not embarrassed. Gotta start somewhere. ;) )

http://www.briggs.net.nz/log/writing/snake-wrangling-for-kids/

http://pythonbook.coffeeghost.net/book1/

I also purchased Beginning Python from novice to professional

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Python-Novice-Professional-Second/dp/1590599829/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235337781&sr=8-1

It covers just about everything including some Python 3 in that it shows what functions and syntax will eventually replace what's in Python 2.x. I bought it but have turned to the ebooks for right now as they're good for those first baby steps. As an example, the second ebook as a good 'Hangman' game in it that shows how dictionaries are used which was a concept I was having trouble understanding in the big book. As a result of the ebooks, I was able to write a flashcards program that my daughter could drill with for her math.

Good luck to you.

simeon87
February 22nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
When you have questions, there's always this subforum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39) ;)

Martin Marshalek
February 22nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I downloaded the ebooks and will teach myself from those. I've decided on gedit and will enable the pygame package. I'll keep the thread open in case there are people who need help in the same field.

MrWES
February 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
+1 on those web sites. Like you said, basic information, but you have to start somewhere.

Thanks,
Bill