I use these lines but I did not work

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get --fix-missing install

ahmad@ahmad-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0166' near line 1:
newline in field name `#padding'
ahmad@ahmad-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
ahmad@ahmad-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get --fix-missing install
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

I can not install anything also

what I can do..?

yeats
February 22nd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Okay....

So to be clear, you're running regular Ubuntu and want to add KDE? Are you running Intrepid, which is why you're trying to install KDE 3.5 from source?

Installing a huge program like KDE from source is probably not a good idea until you have a better handle on what's what.

As far as the apt-get error goes, it looks like there's a typo in one of the scripts being accessed - either that or there's a missing dependency somewhere that keeps the script from being read correctly. (That's my take, anyway).

spiderbatdad
February 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
check for a file called /var/lib/dpkg/lock you can safely remove that file.

Ghost M.D
February 22nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Okay....

So to be clear, you're running regular Ubuntu and want to add KDE? Are you running Intrepid, which is why you're trying to install KDE 3.5 from source?

Installing a huge program like KDE from source is probably not a good idea until you have a better handle on what's what.

As far as the apt-get error goes, it looks like there's a typo in one of the scripts being accessed - either that or there's a missing dependency somewhere that keeps the script from being read correctly. (That's my take, anyway).

yes I want to install KDE on regular Ubuntu , also yes I running 8.10 , I installed 4.1 before it & I like it but it was unstable so I was need to remove it & after I remove it the kernel damaged ((kernel panic)) after that I reinstall the kernel & I want to install stable version of KDE
so I install 3.5

howefield
February 22nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
kubuntu-desktop is the package in the Ubuntu repository which will give you KDE 3.5.

Can you reverse what you have done, and install that ?

At least you'll be using a trusted repository.

Ghost M.D
February 22nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
check for a file called /var/lib/dpkg/lock you can safely remove that file.

how ..?

I go to dpkg file but I cannot delete it

Ghost M.D
February 22nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
kubuntu-desktop is the package in the Ubuntu repository which will give you KDE 3.5.

sorry I did not understand

can you get it more clear

yeats
February 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM

This is true in Hardy Heron, but KDE 3.5 on Intrepid is more complex and involved (and not recommended as far as I've read). I also prefer KDE 3.5, so I actually rolled back (reinstalled) to Hardy on two of my Linux installations. I'm sure if you Google "KDE 3.5 Intrepid" you'll get advice (and a lot of grousing about KDE 4.1) :-).

In any case, Ghost M. D. - I suggest aborting your mission, at least until you know more about how installation really works. You can back up your data and have Hardy up and running in less time than it will take to sort this out. :-)

spiderbatdad
February 22nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
find the lock file
ls /var/lib/dpkg/
remove it:

sudo -i
rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
apt-get install -f

Ghost M.D
February 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
ahmad@ahmad-laptop:~$ cd /var/lib/dpkg/
ahmad@ahmad-laptop:/var/lib/dpkg$ ls /var/lib/dpkg/
alternatives cmethopt info statoverride status-old
available diversions lock statoverride-old triggers
available-old diversions-old parts status updates
ahmad@ahmad-laptop:/var/lib/dpkg$ sudo -i
[sudo] password for ahmad:
root@ahmad-laptop:~# rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
root@ahmad-laptop:~# apt-get install -f

for bad it did not work

spiderbatdad
February 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
make sure you dont have any package managers running...that synaptic is closed. remove lock again... try running apt-get autoremove, run dpkg --configure -a
You can only run package managers one at a time; that is you can't run apt from the terminal while synaptic is open.

Ghost M.D
February 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
I fix it

I delete the file 0166 by rm

& it works agien

thank you