PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10: guest user account, vanishes after reboot

bha148
February 22nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Dear Friends, I have installed ubuntu 8.10 . I added one guest user apart from the "root" user. And I have disabled the automatic login also.. It was successful, but every time I reboot my system.. it always log in automatically as "root" user, and all the info about guest user is lost.
Could anyone help me to fix the problem.
Thanks in advance.

kellemes
February 22nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Dear Friends, I have installed ubuntu 8.10 . I added one guest user apart from the "root" user. And I have disabled the automatic login also.. It was successful, but every time I reboot my system.. it always log in automatically as "root" user, and all the info about guest user is lost.
Could anyone help me to fix the problem.
Thanks in advance.

Never never never login as root user! There is absolutely no reason to.
Actually.. you shouldn't have a root account to begin with..
What happened to the user account you made at install?

oopsie
February 22nd, 2009, 02:34 PM
Sorry to butt into someone elses thread. But I've heard time and again "Never log in as root".

But how do I know what I'm logged in as?

And how do I log in as root? Just so I know not to do that.

kellemes
February 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Sorry to butt into someone elses thread. But I've heard time and again "Never log in as root".

And how do I log in as root? Just so I know not to do that.

All the info you need..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

But how do I know what I'm logged in as?
Well, you know what username you typed at login right?
But as link explains, there is no root-account by default.

bha148
February 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
I have installed ubuntu 8.10 using "unetbootin".. after the installation it logged in automatically as "ubuntu" ... is it a "root" account?..
Well anyway I wanted to create new guest account but every time i reboot.. all the information about the guest account is lost... And every time system login automaticaly...eventhoug I disable that option.

bha148
February 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Never never never login as root user! There is absolutely no reason to.
Actually.. you shouldn't have a root account to begin with..
What happened to the user account you made at install?

I have installed ubuntu 8.10 using unetbootin.. after installation it logged in automatically as "ubuntu".. I presumed it is a root user.. So I have created a new guest user, but every time i reboot my system.. all the information about the new guest user is vanished...