PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] pidgin crash and firefox

sonicatu
February 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone. I`m new here so excuse me if i`m not posting where i should.

I`m using ubuntu 8.10 for 2 weeks or so and after i fiddled with it and installed applications like any other user.
Today when i started the PC and ran ubuntu, i tried to open pidgin and it won`t start. Then i wanted to lunch firefox to search for this problem and all my bookmarks and history disappeared. I tried restarting the PC but no result. I then uninstalled a plugin from firefox and restarted the PC and now it works fine. I don`t know if that was the problem, but is there anyway i can find out exactly what caused it?

UPDATE: pidgin still crashes when i try to open it.

yeats
February 22nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Regarding these crashes:

- is Firefox working fine now that you've removed the add-on?

- are there error messages that happen when they're crashing?

Sometimes this sort of thing is related to compiz, the program that provides all the eyecandy effects.

sonicatu
February 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
firefox seams to work fine now, but pidgin still doesn`t work. no error message, no nothing. I just doesn`t start.

Limerick
February 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
I'd like to add to this and say that Pidgin occasionally dies for no apparent reason. It isn't permanent and does no damage but it gets annoying.

superprash2003
February 22nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
go to the terminal and type pidin and incase you see any error message..post it.. did you install any add-on to pidgin recently??

sonicatu
February 23rd, 2009, 10:09 AM
I`m very confused. Today when I started the PC pidgin is working fine, but firefox is the problem. as described in my first post, the bookmarks are gone and all the history. it`s just like in safe mode.

I don`t know what to think. maybe if i restart my PC, pidgin won`t work but firefox will.

shredder12
February 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
I am not sure about pidgin but i once had the same problem with firefox..
and the problem was some file permissions in the .mozilla folder.
so jst change the permissions and ownership..

sudo chown -R user:user ~/.mozilla/
Hope this helps..