PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cd/dvd burning software

KHAnet
February 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
looking for the best program for burning cds and dvds. any suggestions? thanks in advance.

taurus
February 22nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Best for one person might not be the best for others. You just have to try them out and see which one offers what you want or need: Brasero, Gnomebaker, k3b, etc.

dasan
February 22nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Try k3b its the best software i ever found
U can get it from packet manager
http://k3b.plainblack.com/

binbash
February 22nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
I prefer nerolinux over brasero or k3b

paydaydaddy
February 22nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
+1 for K3b. Haven't tried nerolinux, but would expect it to be good.

MrWES
February 22nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
looking for the best program for burning cds and dvds. any suggestions? thanks in advance.

K9Copy: it'll rip, shrink if necessary and burn your DVD.

or you if you want a complete bit for bit copy you can try this from the command line:

dd if=/dev/YOURDEVICE of=dvd.iso

Or if you want to rip the main title:

mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile dvd.vob

I've had sound sync issues with the last command, so I've resorted to using Handbrake.

Bill

Doug11
February 22nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
It's more of a personal preference thing between K3B and Linux Nero. I like K3B because it can do pretty much everything Nero can do. Easy to use and user friendly. Just because I had problems in the past with Nero. but like I said, it's what you like.

MrWES
February 22nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
It's more of a personal preference thing between K3B and Linux Nero. I like K3B because it can do pretty much everything Nero can do. Easy to use and user friendly. Just because I had problems in the past with Nero. but like I said, it's what you like.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but K3B can not shrink a dual layer DVD to fit on a single layer, correct? I've used K9 copy and then burned with K3B.

Bill

Doug11
February 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but K3B can not shrink a dual layer DVD to fit on a single layer, correct? I've used K9 copy and then burned with K3B.

Bill I don't know, can it? Can Nero do it? As far K9 copy, I made no reference to it at all.

Steve H
February 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
I've messed around with quite a few burning progs on Ubuntu and I'm now using GnomeBaker for straight burning of iso's. I miss Nero being able to encode and then burn vid files for playing on DVD players, but I use Devede and GnomeBaker, just takes a bit longer.

I definitely found K3b and GnomeBaker to be the best so far

It really depends what you want to do with it. Ubuntu requires a bit more mix'n'match with progs to get some of the same functionality that Nero gives. Let's face it Nero raised the bar fairly high!!

;)

MrWES
February 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
K3B can certainly copy DVD's, if you have a dual layer burner, then you're good to go. However, if you don't K3B will not shrink it down to fit. Therefore, the combination of K9Copy (output to iso) and K3B to burn the iso works very nicely.

Bill