PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Choppy HD video playback

Onoskelis
February 22nd, 2009, 04:02 AM
I have a lot of 720p/1080p videos, but they all play terribly no matter when video player I use. I have used Mplayer, VLC, Totem, and a few other, but it all resulted in choppy playback and mediocre video quality. HD videos on youtube are also very slow.

I know it's not a hardware issue because they work perfectly in XP and Vista. My videocard is an Nvidia 8800GT, and the CPU is a Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz.

Does anyone know what the issue is? Thanks.

RomeReactor
February 22nd, 2009, 04:39 AM
Hi. Make sure you have the nVidia driver installed in 'System->Administration->Hardware Drivers'.

Onoskelis
February 22nd, 2009, 04:42 AM
Hi. Make sure you have the nVidia driver installed in 'System->Administration->Hardware Drivers'.

Yes I installed the restricted Nvidia drivers already.

RomeReactor
February 22nd, 2009, 04:49 AM
Do you have the Medibuntu repositories? If so, make sure you have the following installed:

sudo aptitude install gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mpegdemux gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-packagekit gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse

Onoskelis
February 22nd, 2009, 05:01 AM
Do you have the Medibuntu repositories? If so, make sure you have the following installed:

sudo aptitude install gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mpegdemux gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-packagekit gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse

Oh god I think that made it worse ;)

I guess HD media and Linux don't work very well together.

RomeReactor
February 22nd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Oh god I think that made it worse ;)

I guess HD media and Linux don't work very well together.

I could play 720p videos in a Sempron 2800+ (1.6 Ghz) and a GeForce 6200 in Ubuntu, so that's probably a problem with your configuration.

Onoskelis
February 22nd, 2009, 05:25 AM
I could play 720p videos in a Sempron 2800+ (1.6 Ghz) and a GeForce 6200 in Ubuntu, so that's probably a problem with your configuration.

Well I'm completely new to Ubuntu and Linux, so I don't even know where to start to see if my configuration is correct.

Well thanks anyways. I'll tinker around a bit and try googling it. If all else fails, it's back to Windows I guess.

ramjet_1953
February 22nd, 2009, 06:11 AM
You could try the following as it often helps:

You will need to open a terminal and modify your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

This can only be done in sudo mode.

Type this into a terminal:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Add the following lines in the Device section:

Option "VideoRam" "65536"
Option "CacheLines" "1980"

Then save the file.
These lines tell your system to allocate additional RAM to your video.

NOTE: It is a good idea to back-up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file before making any changes. That way if you "stuff-up", you can just recover the original file.

If you don't have the nano editor, you can use another editor, or install it by using the command:

sudo apt-get install nano

Regards,
Roger :D

binbash
February 22nd, 2009, 11:49 AM
My ubuntu was also crap at playing HD files.Install SVN version mplayer and x264, then install gnome-player.It will play fine

cerpin
February 22nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Yes I installed the restricted Nvidia drivers already.

Well, I don't know about that. I have an Nvidia graphics card and I can view HD content just fine. you just need to make sure you have the right packages installed.

ken22
February 22nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
My video playback was awful, especially for flash until I installed the latest nvidia driver from the nvidia site.

Note that this isn't very straight forward to install and requires recompilation on new kernel releases, but my playback is awesome.

stefangr1
February 22nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
MPEG-4 is an issue as all the decoding work is normally done at just one CPU core and the ffmpeg h264 decoder is not very efficient. When you look at your processor usage, you will probably see this. I find it strange, however, that you also have problems with 720p, on my E6750 CPU usage always remains below 60 or 70%.

The good news is that nvidia has been working on mpeg4 decoding on the GPU, which will enable you to play even 1080p perfectly at only a few percents of CPU usage. It is still in beta phase, but almost all movies that are obtained trough the regular channels play without issues.

You have to install the newest driver 180.29 and download the vdpau patch (be sure to get the newest) for mplayer. If you have a look in the readme / forums it shouldn't be too difficult to get things working.