View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh Install Via Flash Drive Problem

February 22nd, 2009, 03:26 AM
Hi all,

I am a beginner with Ubuntu. I had previously installed it on an older dell laptop with no issues and LOVED it. So when it came to buy a new laptop i got a dell mini 12 with Ubuntu already installed.

It has been giving me some issues. I poked around the net and it seems that Dell has it's OWN version of Ubuntu and it has been a bit wonky for others too. I decided to do a fresh install of the "regular" Ubuntu.

I found how to make a bootable USB drive and all that, pop it in and it starts fine but then takes me to a shell screen....and i have NO CLUE what to do! To my understanding, it was supposed to run just like a CD install (and when i had previously installed from a CD, this didn't happen)

The Dell Mini 12 has no CD drive which is why im trying to to it this way.

To recap, i want to basically wipe out the Dell Ubuntu (Hardy) and do a fresh install.

Any help would be appreciated. I am a n00b at linux! Please remember this when explaining shell stuff to me, I don't have much experience with it.

Let me know of any other info you may need from me on this. I just want this laptop to run as perfectly with ubuntu as my other did.

June 15th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I too had looked for a way to put Ubuntu on a flash drive. To do this correctly, you need a computer either with Ubuntu installed on it or one with a cd drive so you can use a live cd. In Ubuntu there is an application called "Create a USB Starup Disk". You will need to use this. Let me know whether you need to know how to use a Live Cd and we'll go from there. Regards,

June 16th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Just to make sure, you are either going to use jaunty or intrepid right? I don't think hardy works with the liveUSB install method.

June 16th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Very detailed instructions here (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/)