PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't turn camera on in skype

a.v.l
February 22nd, 2009, 03:07 AM
A test of my webcam and the webcam on my daughters laptop shows it to be working, but I'm unable to switch on the webcam during a chat with her. How is this done please?

Miljet
February 22nd, 2009, 03:18 AM
At the bottom of the Skype window there should be a button to turn the video on or off. Unfortunately, when I installed Skype in 8.04 that button was missing. I could go into the menu and set the web cam to always on during calls, but that would only work if I initiated the call. It didn't work when someone called me.

Just this week I installed 8.10 and when I installed Skype, all the controls are there and it works like it is supposed to.

a.v.l
February 22nd, 2009, 03:21 AM
thanks I'm still on 8.04 and my daugher is on 8.10 I have no options to switch on video even thought my test shows my webcam works.

At the bottom of the Skype window there should be a button to turn the video on or off. Unfortunately, when I installed Skype in 8.04 that button was missing. I could go into the menu and set the web cam to always on during calls, but that would only work if I initiated the call. It didn't work when someone called me.

Just this week I installed 8.10 and when I installed Skype, all the controls are there and it works like it is supposed to.

Miljet
February 22nd, 2009, 03:44 AM
Sounds like a good reason to upgrade....(grin)

agharbeia
June 3rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
On Ubuntu 10.04 64bit and Skype 2.1.0.81 and I cannot see a button to start video