PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mounting SMB shares at boot

Pas_sa
February 22nd, 2009, 12:52 AM
Hi guys.

I have my fstab set to mount certain SMB shares at boot like so:

//familydesktop/c /media/familyc cifs iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/family/.smbcredentials,uid=1000 0 0
//familydesktop/media /media/media cifs iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/family/.smbcredentials,uid=1000 0 0
//familydesktop/music /media/music cifs iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/family/.smbcredentials,uid=1000 0 0

When I do a sudo mount -a they all appear on the desktop and work marvelously. However at boot they do not appear, I'm guessing perhaps because the wifi is yet to be enabled when all the drives are mounted?

What can I do to make it automatically mount those drives.

Pas_sa
February 22nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Bump..

Pas_sa
February 23rd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Does no one seriously know? :( it's really annoying me.

I tried setting the command to run at boot with the Sessions option but it still runs seemingly before the wifi connects so the drives dont appear until I run the command manually.

yther
February 23rd, 2009, 06:24 AM
I'm jealous of you because my SMB shares don't mount unless I give the IP address! :(

For your mounting problem, try adding _netdev into your options. So, for example:

//familydesktop/c /media/familyc cifs iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/family/.smbcredentials,uid=1000,_netdev 0 0

That is supposed to tell the system to wait until networking is up before it tries to mount. I use this on my laptop to mount some Windows shares at work, and it does the job. Also if you are using OpenOffice to read MS files, you might want the nobrl option as well; it is supposed to fix a problem with Writer not opening .DOC files correctly.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

element_G
February 23rd, 2009, 06:29 AM
Following this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534

is what got my Samba to automount