PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Share a printer with windows xp

kcr-By-Tor
February 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM
Can someone give me a step by step on how to find and share the printer that I have hooked up to a windows xp machine with my newly installed Ubuntu 8.10 machine?. I am using a wireless network and I believe I have already installed samba, but I am not quite sure how to check. I am really new to this. Can anyone help?

kcr-By-Tor
February 22nd, 2009, 12:37 AM
Ok. I do have samba installed and I went to places > network and opened the Home Office network I received an error message, Unable to mount location. Failed to retrieve share list from server.

How do I find my network in Ubuntu?

rafac24
February 22nd, 2009, 12:54 AM
This is what worked for me when I had a network printer installed on a Windows XP machine and I was trying to print from Ubuntu:

On Ubuntu:
System => Administration => Printing
Click to 'Add' New Printer
Then click the 'Windows Printing via Samba'
In the 'SMB' text box type in the specifications of your network and network printer, for example:

Network/Computer/Printer_Name

where, 'Network' represents your home network name / 'Computer' represents the computer network name assigned to the computer running windows and the windows printer / and 'Printer_Name' is the assigned name of the printer when it was shared through Windows.

Hope that helps.

cariboo907
February 22nd, 2009, 01:49 AM
You don't need samba to share a printer connected to a windows computer with Ubuntu.

The above poster was partially right, he just missesd a few steps.

Go here (http://www.openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi) to make sure your printer is supported.
If you printer is supported ,on your windows computer go to Start-->Printers and Faxes, and right click your printer, and click the sharing tab
See screenshot1. Make sure Share This Printer is Selected and make sure your printer name doesn't have any spaces in it.
On your Ubuntu computer go to System-->Administration-->Printing and select New Printer.
In the New Printer window click on Network Printer and select Windows Printer via SAMBA.
click the browse button and select you printer from the list. See screenshot2
click forward, and just follow the prompts from there

kcr-By-Tor
February 22nd, 2009, 03:20 AM
This is what worked for me when I had a network printer installed on a Windows XP machine and I was trying to print from Ubuntu:

On Ubuntu:
System => Administration => Printing
Click to 'Add' New Printer
Then click the 'Windows Printing via Samba'
In the 'SMB' text box type in the specifications of your network and network printer, for example:

Network/Computer/Printer_Name

where, 'Network' represents your home network name / 'Computer' represents the computer network name assigned to the computer running windows and the windows printer / and 'Printer_Name' is the assigned name of the printer when it was shared through Windows.

Hope that helps.
Once i figured out the names of my network, shared computer and printer your instructions worked perfectly. Thanks for your help!!!!

kcr-By-Tor
February 22nd, 2009, 03:30 AM
You don't need samba to share a printer connected to a windows computer with Ubuntu.

The above poster was partially right, he just missesd a few steps.

Go here (http://www.openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi) to make sure your printer is supported.
If you printer is supported ,on your windows computer go to Start-->Printers and Faxes, and right click your printer, and click the sharing tab
See screenshot1. Make sure Share This Printer is Selected and make sure your printer name doesn't have any spaces in it.
On your Ubuntu computer go to System-->Administration-->Printing and select New Printer.
In the New Printer window click on Network Printer and select Windows Printer via SAMBA.
click the browse button and select you printer from the list. See screenshot2
click forward, and just follow the prompts from there

I did have spaces in the names of my computer, which is what kept me from connecting. once i figured that out i manually put the names of the path in the browser. For some reason when i searched for the shared printer through the browser button ubuntu did not find it. Thanks for your help! It's great to have access to this coomunity for help.

rafac24
March 8th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Same exact thing happened to me. It took me quite a while to get the correct names for my network, computer and printer.

Funny how, in retrospect, it's very simple to get the network printing working!

gibxam
March 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM
:) success! I'll be honest I'm not completely sure what I did ;) but I have been able to connect to my home network and can now print thanks to this thread. Thank you I'm sure I'll be around with more questions.

Max