PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] installing english version on french bought computer

emanwela
February 21st, 2009, 09:12 PM
does anyone know if i should worry about this? have there been problems? bought a computer with windows vista french on it, woudl like to install linux, its an acer aspire dual core. not sure if the french is an integral part of the dos, or if it will recognise the new OS and so on.... thanks in advance for any advice, dont want to bugger up husbands new computer. he doesnt speak french, so we really need to change it!!! hope i worded the question correctly! ;) e

rapha
February 21st, 2009, 09:16 PM
Ubuntu is very multi-lingual. If you choose "French" when the installation CD asks you for the language, almost all parts of your Ubuntu installation should be in French. So go ahead and give it a try :-)

roger_1960
February 21st, 2009, 09:24 PM
Hi

I run ubuntu on 3 laptops - 2 are french (with french keyboards) and one English. When you install you need to select french as the keyboard and English as the language. It works fine. The only issue I have is that with the french keyboards "caps lock" does not give the numbers on the top row on the french keyboards - you have to hold down the shift key. This is apparently how ubuntu works and is unlikely to change. Its not a problem unless you do lots of numbers work.

yther
February 21st, 2009, 09:29 PM
Also, remember that if you make a user account (login) for your husband, his settings can be in English and yours in French. :)

emanwela
February 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
wicked, that is great, thanks to the first one, altho not quite what i meant, and the second two, that is exactly what i needed to know, especially re numbers, we will work that one out then, love the idea of tricking him into having french after all, only joking!!! he would be most upset, well, i will dive in then, never installed linux before, quite looking forward to the experience, have a mac online, so will be able to follow instructions at same time... any advice?????? thanks again, great replies... and v prompt too!!!! e

emanwela
February 21st, 2009, 10:22 PM
i now have to choose which version AHHAHHHHHHAHHAHH

rapha
February 22nd, 2009, 04:28 AM
What I really wanted to bring across was that there isn't really such a thing as an "English version of Ubuntu" (unlike Windows, where every CD has a specific language).

Regarding the keyboard Shift / Caps Lock thing I wouldn't be too sure that that is "just how Ubuntu works". It's very well possible that one of the alternative layouts behaves like you guys are used to from Windows!