PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to mount hfsplus partition?

HanDuo
February 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Hi everybody,

I want to auto mount a hfs+ partition (in my case: sda3) to be used as a shared Volume with ubuntu 8.10 and OSX 10.5. Under OSX it (of course) mounts automatically. Under ubuntu I can only mount it via the desktop-gui (/media/myHFS+Volume), but only if nothing about the partition (sda3) is said within the fstab-file.

Here is what I tried so far:

Editing /etc/fstab-file with something like:

/dev/sda3 /mnt/myHFSplusVolume hfsplus ro,exec,noauto,users 0 0

In fact I tried several fstab configurations (e.g. with fstab set to default settings etc.)

Another thing I tried was to mount the volume via the desktop-gui and then to open/edit the volume "properties". Here on can also edit the mount point and other things. The result was the same like with editing the fstab-file. The volume was not visible any longer on the desktop or I got the message "unable to mount volume".
When editing things via "properties" nothing was written to the fstab-file. So I now wonder were changes under "properties" are going to be written to?

According to this documentation (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2346494#post2346494) I also tried to mount/unmount the partition via the console/terminal.
But then I get the message that the volume does not exist.

Can anybody tell me why I can mount the volume via the desktop-gui but not via shell?

Under OSX I have put volume settings to read/write everybody.

Thanks for thinking about this.

Andreas

HanDuo
February 21st, 2009, 09:27 PM
Sorry!

I overlooked that I have to create a directory that will hold the mounted disk.

Now I am able to mount it via shell.

But maybe I have to come back with some other issues later on...

So far thanks for reading...

mkvnmtr
February 22nd, 2009, 02:49 AM
This is one of the things I am not real good at but I can get a partition to mount and can use it if it is hfs extended. But if it is journeled I have found with a lot of struggling that ubuntu can't write to it and it gives me a lot of problems with permissions and mounting.

cyberdork33
February 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
I overlooked that I have to create a directory that will hold the mounted disk.
Bingo!

ntetreau
March 17th, 2010, 10:01 PM
This is one of the things I am not real good at but I can get a partition to mount and can use it if it is hfs extended. But if it is journeled I have found with a lot of struggling that ubuntu can't write to it and it gives me a lot of problems with permissions and mounting.

Yeah, it seem the kernel driver doesn't support "journaled" hfs+. Once I deactivated it in OSX on that partition, I found that read and write worked well, without any trouble so far. That includes on a raid 1 partition with lots of larges files, if you know what i mean.