PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Networking problems

susanpenter
February 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
I have just converted my laptop to Ubuntu my main PC has been using it for a couple of years. My problem is connecting my laptop to the internet. It can see my wireless network but the only way it can connect is if I disconnect the PC first. I have not encrypted it because it will never let me back on when I sign in with the correct codes.

I have tried putting an ethernet cable between the PC and laptop so that the laptop could use the PCs connection but this is not working either. I really need to be able to get the laptop online so if anyone could help I would be very grateful.

I am confident with using Ubuntu in general and can follow instructions it's just that network related issues are one of my week areas.

Many thanks

yeats
February 21st, 2009, 04:17 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you need a basic hub, router, or switch - probably with wireless capabilities. These are very plentiful and available, and you could probably find a suitable one at a used computer parts store for a reasonable price. Let me know if I'm not understanding your need :-)....

susanpenter
February 21st, 2009, 04:24 PM
I've sorted it - believe it or not I had forgotten that I had put a mac filter on my browser as it wasn't encrypted so I just had to add my laptop into the filter and now it all works fine...

yeats
February 21st, 2009, 04:32 PM
Ahh - then you were farther along than I realized :-) Great.

Doug11
February 21st, 2009, 04:41 PM
In regards of putting an ethernet cable between the laptop and pc for internet connection,,just so you know for future reference,,I think it's a crossover cable needed to do that.