PDA

View Full Version : [kde] KDM or GDM?

Boomerkuwanga
February 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
I've been using regular ubuntu for a few months now, and decided to experiment a little bit with my setup. I've installed KDE, which I really like.I'm currently running GDM though, since I keep getting graphical errors and crashes while using KDM. Is there any particular reason to use one over the other? My system seems to work fine with GDM running under KDE.

yeats
February 21st, 2009, 04:11 PM
I think this is a matter of preference, especially if you like having Gnome and KDE installed side by side. I would say if you're having issues with KDM, stick with GDM and don't worry until there's a problem :-).

lukjad007
February 21st, 2009, 04:33 PM
From what I hear, KDE is less stable. Then again, KDE people say the GDM looks like cold oatmeal. The best advice I can give you is this. If you want to try KDE out, install a fresh copy of Kubuntu and update it. Switching desktop managers has been known to cause problems.

yeats
February 21st, 2009, 04:48 PM
From what I hear, KDE is less stable.

Yes - in my opinion, the version of KDE 4.1 on 8.10 was not ready for prime time. That and some issues with the Intrepid kernels were enough for me to roll back to Hardy Heron Kubuntu on two installations. :-)

I'm told KDE 4.2 is better, but I'll have to be convinced ...