PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD freezes

conman5
February 21st, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hello again,

It is I, again. I just wanted to check out Ubuntu a bit before I install. So, I downloaded the ISO image and wrote it to a CD. After I inserted the CD and ran the live option, Ubuntu begins to load, but freezes. I have tried it many times and it seems to freeze at different points. I ran a disk integrity check, and everything checks out.

I'm not sure I want to install a OS where the live disk can't seem to load properly. Does anyone have any idea how to make it work.

Thanks,
Conman5

JerichoKru
February 21st, 2009, 10:00 AM
Hello again,

It is I, again. I just wanted to check out Ubuntu a bit before I install. So, I downloaded the ISO image and wrote it to a CD. After I inserted the CD and ran the live option, Ubuntu begins to load, but freezes. I have tried it many times and it seems to freeze at different points. I ran a disk integrity check, and everything checks out.

I'm not sure I want to install a OS where the live disk can't seem to load properly. Does anyone have any idea how to make it work.

Thanks,
Conman5

What speed did you burn it at?

Malta paul
February 21st, 2009, 10:06 AM
If your CD checked out OK, Try starting using 'Safe Graphic mode' ?
;)

conman5
February 21st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Um... I dont really know what speed I burned it at. Should I just have it burn at the lowest speed?

stalkingwolf
February 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM
Yes burn at the slowest speed. Also make sure that the media is a quality product. I have also had certain CD/DVD roms that would only work with certain brands of media.

Also make sure that your CDrom is clean. Blow it out or run a cleaning disk.

How much RAM do you have?

conman5
February 21st, 2009, 11:54 PM
Ya, Safe Graphic Mode worked, but I am still hoping to run it on full mode. Ill try rewriting a disk on the slowest speed possible.

Oh, I have 3GB of ram with a AMD althon 4200+ running standard at 2.2GHz

krzysz00
February 22nd, 2009, 04:57 AM
It won't work either way. You have to use safe graphics mode

conman5
February 22nd, 2009, 03:15 PM
It won't work either way. You have to use safe graphics mode

Ya, I wrote a new disk at the slowest speed available (8x) and it still wouldn't run correctly.

Will this be a problem when I install Ubuntu, or is it just the live part?

karlr42
February 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
What graphc card do you have?

conman5
February 22nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
A BFG Nvidia 8800 GT OC with 512MB

karlr42
February 22nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Ah, that needs a driver that isn't installed by default. Just run the LiveCD in safe graphics, install Ubuntu, then forst time you boot it it'll prompt you to install a "restricted driver" for that card. Do so, and you should get full resolution, 3d-acceleration etc etc

conman5
February 22nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
That would explain the annoying popup thing in the live mode.

OK thanks for explaining. Now I just need to find a reasonable deal on a HDD and Ill be installing Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Conman5

linux_tech
February 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
you may want to try with acpi off

conman5
February 22nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
what is acpi?