PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mac OS/ WinXP/ Ubuntu Triple Boot Help

SpAM_CAN
February 20th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I am lost here.

I have a macbook 2.1 and I currently have Mac OSX and Windows XP installed. When I install Ubuntu into my empty partition (Yes I have a swap partition too) rEFIt does not show and Mac OSX will not start, and the firmware cannot detect any operating systems. So i go into my LiveCD and delete Linux. I restart and Mac OSX shows again! No rEFIt however but I just have to re-enable that.

Can anyone help? This is what my Disk Utility says: (I know there is 2 Linux Swaps) http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww166/SEANIXproductions/SnapzProXScreenSnapz001.jpg

I heard about this GRUB thing but I am clueless about what to do with it.

SpAM_CAN
February 20th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I think I might have done it, but will post if otherwise.

SpAM_CAN
February 20th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Got it. Just had to set mount point to "/" and install boot manager to the same partition as Ubuntu. Then I used partition tool in rEFIt and viola! Triple boot on my MacBook! Now all I need is another OS and QUADBOOT!

You can lock this thread if you want :popcorn:

cyberdork33
February 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Got it. Just had to set mount point to "/" and install boot manager to the same partition as Ubuntu. Then I used partition tool in rEFIt and viola! Triple boot on my MacBook! Now all I need is another OS and QUADBOOT!

You can lock this thread if you want :popcorn:
Good job. You also seemed to have created multiple swap partitions in the process of installing more than once.

SpAM_CAN
February 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Yeah I know, but as they are mounted even when using the LiveCD I can't get rid of them :(

cyberdork33
February 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah I know, but as they are mounted even when using the LiveCD I can't get rid of them :(
unmount them :)

see the "swapoff" command. (I also think it is an option when you right click on it in gparted.)

SpAM_CAN
February 20th, 2009, 08:48 PM
It wouldn't let me unmount them, but I will try that command. Thanks!

SpAM_CAN
February 21st, 2009, 07:07 PM
Huh... I deleted the Swap partitions, and when I tried to make one big one in its place, but it comes up with an error. Says that it can't recognize it and comes up with a format "Unknown", and that it does not have the correct permissions.

Anyone?

cyberdork33
February 22nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Huh... I deleted the Swap partitions, and when I tried to make one big one in its place, but it comes up with an error. Says that it can't recognize it and comes up with a format "Unknown", and that it does not have the correct permissions.

Anyone?where does it say that? You might need to modify your fstab file.

SpAM_CAN
February 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
It says that I don't have the right permissions when I boot up Gparted, and it can't read it properly and when I partition the Linux Swap it comes up with some kind of error then the partition file system is labeled Unknown.

What is a fstab file?

Oh and it may interest you that at the time of the error my Windows installation on Partition 2 died. Could be a messed up partition table maybe?

cyberdork33
February 22nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Oh and it may interest you that at the time of the error my Windows installation on Partition 2 died. Could be a messed up partition table maybe?
it sounds like it.

Is gparted prompting you for the admin password?

fstab tells your system what partitions to mount on startup