PDA

View Full Version : Flash extremely choppy/slow on 64 bit

no1wantdthisname
February 20th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Anyone else seeing extremely choppy playback for flash?
It's easy to see this on HD videos from gametrailers.

It's slow using Flash from the ubuntu repo and the native 64 bit version.
I tried using a fresh firefox profile and even removed pulseaudio and it was still slow.

Cpu: intel core2 duo 2.20ghz
Video card: Nvidia 8600m gt
/ is ext4.
/home is ext3.

I have intrepid on another partition, and it works fine. Intrepid is using 180.29 too.

halfsane
February 20th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I am seeing the same thing with flash, it is choppy then actually freezes most of the time.

I also noticed this with files on my hdd using movie player. When I try VLC it last longer without choppiness then crashes.

is it related? i have no idea.

Tich666
February 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Well, flash on linux sucks, period.
I'm running the 32 bit version and can't even play "HD" videos on youtube or regular ones when using fullscreen (not to mention the screwed up aspect ratio).

I can't wait for the HTML 5 implementation in FF 3.1 which will include audio and video elements. Here's hope for a better and FREE future for streaming media.
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Using_audio_and_video_in_Firefox

durand
February 20th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Well, flash on linux sucks, period.
I'm running the 32 bit version and can't even play "HD" videos on youtube or regular ones when using fullscreen (not to mention the screwed up aspect ratio).

I can't wait for the HTML 5 implementation in FF 3.1 which will include audio and video elements. Here's hope for a better and FREE future for streaming media.
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Using_audio_and_video_in_Firefox

Strange, I've never really had a problem with flash on linux. HD videos work fine in vimeo, youtube and iplayer.

mano cazalet
February 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM
here its choppy to
very choppy in firefox (both 3.06 and 3.1)
and not so choopy in opera 9.63 or 10 alpha

halfsane
February 20th, 2009, 11:55 PM
again, not sure if my problem was related to the OP, but todays updates seems to have fixed my issues.

durand
February 21st, 2009, 11:22 PM
here its choppy to
very choppy in firefox (both 3.06 and 3.1)
and not so choopy in opera 9.63 or 10 alpha

Oh, I only use opera so I can't really say anything about FF.

Poleh
April 18th, 2009, 12:05 AM
yup, I get extremely choppy playback with both the 64-bit pre-release and the 32-bit plugin. However, I only seem to see performance problems from within Opera, when I flick to FF it works fine.

Using 8.10 x64, Opera 9.64, Dell XPS M1530 Dual core, 4GB - Any other Opera users seeing something similar?

Peasantoid
April 18th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Works great for me.

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.2 GHz
* RAM: 4 GB
* Graphics: Intel GMA X3100

durand
April 18th, 2009, 12:22 AM
yup, I get extremely choppy playback with both the 64-bit pre-release and the 32-bit plugin. However, I only seem to see performance problems from within Opera, when I flick to FF it works fine.

Using 8.10 x64, Opera 9.64, Dell XPS M1530 Dual core, 4GB - Any other Opera users seeing something similar?

As I said above, it's not choppy but there is some lag problem.
Ubuntu 9.04/Opera 10/etc

Peasantoid
April 18th, 2009, 01:48 AM
As I said above, it's not choppy but there is some lag problem.
Ubuntu 9.04/Opera 10/etc
What sort of lag? Do you mean the sound starts a while after you hit play and keeps going after you hit pause?

I get that too. Something to do with PulseAudio, I think. (?)

durand
April 18th, 2009, 02:00 AM
What sort of lag? Do you mean the sound starts a while after you hit play and keeps going after you hit pause?

I get that too. Something to do with PulseAudio, I think. (?)

Yeah, sometimes but it just seems more clunky than if I used firefox.

novafluxx
April 18th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I've noticed some choppyness and sluggishness as well during flash games. Just remember the native 64-bit flash plugin from Adobe IS an alpha release. Also make sure you're using the latest alpha from February.

I hope the future of media on the internet is open and free as well...here's to the audio and video HTML in Firefox 3.5!

Reiger
April 18th, 2009, 02:32 AM

Atm, I don't get any video with Opera 10 on Jaunty 64bit using the 32bit plugin. I the get sound, though. :)

Reiger
April 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Opera 10 with 64bit prerelease flash works fine, though.